Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Preferred Characters
Preferred Characters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2003, 04:16 AM   #1
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
Banned

Default Preferred Characters

What characters of sound is preferred by human ears or brain (in a technical or in a non-technical description)? This is not about human preferences that differ from person to person.

1. Sweet vocals. Female vocals seemed to be more preferable. Itís nice to have a feeling that the voice is sexy. Simple circuits give more probability for a sweet vocal. Speaker sensitivity and amplifier capability to send flat signal such that we can hear the voice membrane or the emotion of the singer (whether she is shy, trembling, etc). Well, tubes are extremely sweet and natural. We can enjoy hearing a good singer with sweet voice lively without music, canít we?

2. Frequencies. Lows seemed to be more preferable than highs. Cymbals are nice but not likely to trigger adrenalin like lows do. But to standard extent, distorted lows are more acceptable than distorted highs. So itís always better to have low decibel of highs than flat but distorted (correspond to resistor or L-pad in tweeter crossover)

3. THD. I donít think that this is important. Any hi-fi system will do to me regardless of their THD. But what is the physical metric of second harmonic distortion? Could it be possible that this have something to do with sweet vocal? Because even that tubes are natural, vocals are seemed to be sweeter than natural voice.

4. Sonic/dynamics. Donít know the correct ďjargonĒ to express this. This is associated with fast respond (and enough power or flat respond), especially in low frequencies. Zero feedback design, high trans-conductance of amplifying transistors, flexible woofer cone, flat respond of amplifier and speaker circuit, all I think contribute to this character.

5. High fidelity. Itís sometime annoying when many musical instruments mixed together creating one resultant of voice. But I guest this is only because Iím expecting for the better. And may be all those words in audiophile dictionary fall into this category.

From above, number 4 is I think the most important. This is why I leave tubes and go back to solid state. But using complex circuit as in bipolar designs lose some preferred characters, especially if power is not a big concern. Simple bipolar circuits like DOZ and Bride of DOZ are very nice indeed. But I think only in inefficient speakers. In efficient speakers, may be MOSFET is preferable. So, has anybody with many experiences set up a Balanced line stage, Son of Zen, and fed the signal directly to a Lowther without crossover? Iím not yet convinced with the use of full-range driver.
Old 21st February 2003, 04:39 PM   #2
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

HiFi = High Fidelity.
Fidelity, to be totally true to.

In this case HiFi is when
the reproduced soundwave is as close as possible to
the recording material's description of the soundwave
according to the standard used to descibe the soundwave.
--------------------------

Besides, you are not really interested in Chess
or
you are a coward.
Because you haven't yet challenged gromanswe
at http://gameknot.com/
I am not afraid. And I will try to win over you.

Here is my statistics:
http://gameknot.com/stats.pl?gromanswe
I have lost, in average, 1/40 (every 40th game)
that is 5 games ouyt of played 200

this is the link for anyone to challenge me
http://gameknot.com/start_game.pl?chlg=gromanswe
I will play anyone of you members at diyaudio.com.
I will NOT lose - and in 90% of cases I will win!

/halo - thinks you we should use our diyaudio-ID
- when we join gameknot.com = more fun & we can discuss audio while playing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chess 15.jpg (6.4 KB, 243 views)
Old 21st February 2003, 05:25 PM   #3
Sch3mat1c is offline Sch3mat1c  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
To bring more psychoacoustics into it:
It seems to me that slowly creeping things (animals, person of authority walking towards your bedroom door.....) produce low frequencies. This means danger, and in the wild it could mean something very bad indeed. So adrenaline hops you up to GET YER A$$ GOIN!
So LF = adrenaline, I see no reason why to doubt it

Anyone think of some other things?

Tim (IANAB, B = biologist )
Old 22nd February 2003, 04:46 AM   #4
kelticwizard is offline kelticwizard  United States
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Preferred Characters
Sch3mat1c:

Did you think of this yourself, or did you read it somewhere? Because if you thought of this yourself, it basically agrees with an audio book written in the fifties. The explanation in the book was written to explain why our hearing is most sensitive in the middle ranges.

According to that book, the hearing is most sensitive in the middle ranges-the range where twigs break, for instance-because that way early man could detect both danger and possible prey. And by the same reasoning, we would have a reaction to deep frequencies, because it takes something large to generate them.

Interesting that your thinking goes right in line with someone else's writing of half a century ago.
Old 22nd February 2003, 04:24 PM   #5
Banned

Sch3matic and Kelticwizard,

I donít think thereís such a strong DNA transfer from our great great grandparent so that the ancient situation apply to us now. In my situation, the opposite is even truer. Whistles, car horns, well no, this is ridiculous.

Halojoy,

Thankís for reminding me with HiFi definition. So do you think that I should have written ďhi definitionĒ here? Then hi-fi is more related to speakers than amps. This is because when an analogue signal gets out of an amplifier, the signal represents at least 90% of the recording materialís description of the sound-wave (Hell, where did I get this number from). When the analogue is transferred to sound wave by the speaker, the sound-wave represents at most 63.72%.

When I said: ďItís sometime annoying when many musical instruments mixed together creating one resultant of voiceĒ, thatís almost the same thing. When a complex passage is interpreted by a speaker, especially if highs and lows are generated at the same time (I think this is why classical music fans donít like 2-way systems), the sound becomes ďmuddyĒ.

About the Chess,

I subscribed to www.gameknot.com 3 times and they promised to send me the procedures to activate my membership in 15 minutes. I thought the admins areÖ Only just now I thought I have given wrong email address.

Stay there Halojoy. Every Saturday and/or Sunday, I will make sure to push your king out of the chess-board!
Old 22nd February 2003, 07:28 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sch3mat1c
To bring more psychoacoustics into it:
It seems to me that slowly creeping things (animals, person of authority walking towards your bedroom door.....) produce low frequencies. This means danger, and in the wild it could mean something very bad indeed. So adrenaline hops you up to GET YER A$$ GOIN!
So LF = adrenaline, I see no reason why to doubt it

Anyone think of some other things?
Yes, Sch3mat1c, I think you have had too much home theatre.
Old 22nd February 2003, 07:44 PM   #7
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Yes, Jay

The loudspeaker is by far the bottleneck in todays soundchain.
CD-players, Amplifiers and the rest is HIFI
already in the budget segment.

Not even real HIGH END, so called HIFI speakers (5.000 dollars or more)
can compete in distortion figures with a massproduced amplifier or CD-player.

High end loudspeakers, without correction system,
is more in the same class as a good compact cassette player.
Slope begins several kHz before 20kHz in the hi freq end.
The bass has a slope worse than a SONY Walkman Cassette player.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I wait for you. Hope you find out trouble of registering at gameknot.
I am almost sure the fault is with your email.
Member "Tazzy" from NED plays very good.
I have only very slight advantage. He took the white pieces. So I have to play black.
But I have better stats as black, anyhow.

/halojoy - hope he can match up to his words, on the chess board.
- who can know what will come ......
Chess is a game from Asia. It takes a brain to make a game like chess.
Old 23rd February 2003, 12:51 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by halojoy
Here is my statistics:
http://gameknot.com/stats.pl?gromanswe
I have lost, in average, 1/40 (every 40th game)
that is 5 games ouyt of played 200
200 games! It takes me 10 years to play that much. What are you doing with your time? I will tell your mother!!

When I joined the YahooChess, my score was boosted with only a few games. The trick was I would play only with people with much higher score (I know this is not fair, but it worked). In the beginning, I could hardly get anyone to play with me, but my "track record" did attrack best players to win over me. . So I guest I will get a great point if I beat you, halojoy?
Old 23rd February 2003, 01:20 AM   #9
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Preferred Characters
Quote:
Originally posted by halojoy
The loudspeaker is by far the bottleneck in todays soundchain.

I think that the loudspeaker, even having the greatest range of "colour" is still the least important part of a hifi.

The smaller the signal the more important the device.

And CDs were a big step backwards in hifi... even today's best players don't send as much information on to the next stage in the chain as a modest TT. Hopefully SACD and/or DVD-A will be successful enuff that the CD becomes a thing of the past.

dave
planet 10/thousands of records, tens of CDs
Old 23rd February 2003, 01:28 AM   #10
fdegrove is offline fdegrove  Europe
diyAudio Senior Member

Default ???

Hi,

Quote:
I think that the loudspeaker, even having its own particular range of "colour" is still the least important part of a hifi.
Really?

You really surprise me here...what good is it sending a perfectly good signal through a no good speaker?

I would dedicate at least half of the budget to the speakers.

While I do get your point...rubbish in rubbish out, right?

Cheers,

\Vinyl lives.

Preferred CharactersHide this!Advertise here!