Digital Panel Meter That Displays Watts

Joined 2007
Paid Member
This all started with a friend asking me to measure his vintage tube amp for which he had no spec sheet. Rather than him watching me do calculations or running my finger down a chart on the wall, there would be a meter displaying wattage...there you go.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
What you are after is a meter calibrated in watts for each of the three impedances. In an earlier era you would have made a simple rectifier/filter to make DC from the ayudio and then hand calibrate an analog meter with the appropriate numbers. a 20 dB attenuator could extend its range. There have been similar in the past and you may find something from Radio Shack or Lafayette on eBay. I would not expect anything but I did see this: REALISTIC APM-500 AUDIO POWER METER 2 OR 200 WATT RANGE LED VU METER VINTAGE | eBay . I used to have one.
I think the meter on the HP8903 is calibrated in watts as well.

Current output is total current - quiescent current, or idle current, amplifier consumption, whatever you care to call it.
This can be connected at input, and used.

He can check at different frequencies.
This is a much simpler way to achieve his result compared to an audio analyzer, and maybe a little more versatile for different purposes.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Heathkit had that. I thot it was in a distortion meter but I see it was (also?) a standalone.

https://www.w6ze.org/Heathkit/Heathkit_088_AW1.pdf

Needle-meters make it easy because you "multiply" just by numbering the scale. The vacuum tube is not essential over say 1 Watt @ 8 Ohms (sub-Volt signals run into diode errors). Digital may be a LOT more work, unless you program PICs for fun/money.

IM meter: https://www.rsp-italy.it/Electronics/Kits/_contents/Heathkit/Kits/Heathkit IM-48 audio analyzer.pdf

Audio Wattmeter AW-1U Equipment Heathkit UK by Daystrom, bui

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Actually ANY voltmeter could do that, if you cal the scale in Watts.

We used to take a voltmeter, open it up and replace the scale by a new one calibrated in Watts; there would be three scales for 2, 4, 8ohms.
There is even free software online that helps you set up a scale and print it and you can glue that to the meter dial.

Custom Meter Scales

Works like a champ. I used it to make 10kV voltmeters, but the series R is a b*** ;-)

Jan

The big meter is connected to the input, the supply passes through that, and the one we have has capacity of 10A @ 220 V = 2.2 kW.

Enough I think for most work.
You see the current or power draw at idle, that means zero signal, zero volume, that is the amp only power consumption.
Crank it up to full, and full input signal, that will give you the power drawn by it at full load.
From this subtract the idle level power, that will give you the output power on all channels.
There must be a load on the unit.
Repeat with different frequencies if you feel like.

There are no kHz involved, this is telling you the system input from mains.
If you try this on output side, the multiple frequencies and relative emphasis will not be easy to calculate.
This is a quick and reasonably accurate, and repeatable system.

Maybe you can connect a Schottky bridge to output, and measure DC V and Amps, and get watts.
I do think a short circuit might occur...

Can even use a mains power meter, the single phase electronic kind, even those give you the same set of readings...essentially a current / voltage sensor, and a special IC...and LCD.
Maxim and Hitachi made those chips.
I would not take the trouble for $30...

This is what these look like, the plug type ones.
Just plug in your load.
$20 odd here.

51O8ZaTghyL._SL1418_.jpg

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...You see the current or power draw at idle, that means zero signal, zero volume, that is the amp only power consumption.
Crank it up to full, and full input signal, that will give you the power drawn by it at full load.
From this subtract the idle level power, that will give you the output power on all channels....

No audio amplifier has constant internal power.

In class A the total input power should be constant, the output power deducts from that, so this technique is useless.

In class B the input power rises with signal and output. The trend is clear but in many amps not linear or monotonic.

Class D it almost works, but the load-related losses are not zero.

Anyway these meters are made for 220V. (Typical tube-amp speaker voltage is 3V to 30V.) I use one on 125V and am already losing accuracy. Also they take working power from the circuit being measured. If you do not have dozens of Volts they quit working. Get one and try it. (BTW, a large part of their demand is the LED.) Same for the "car battery meters", they quit below 7V (I had one punk-out at 11V).