shaped burst

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi guys,

I have been looking for a signal/function generator that could output a shaped tone burst as in the attachment.
Surprisingly, although almost all have a tone burst capability, I have not found a single one that could window or filter the burst. Many have window functions like Hanning or Bartlett, but apparently only as a wave shape to output, not to filter a generated signal.

Am I looking for unobtanium? (I know you can generate such signals offline with for instance a spreadsheet, and upload to the test equipment, but I specifically wanted a native hardware capability).

Grateful for any pointers!

Jan

Attachments

• cosine burst.PNG
    cosine burst.PNG
    30.9 KB · Views: 221
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Follow-up: although AP specifically mentions that their (modulated) burst signal always starts and stops immediately, creating large bandwidth spurious signals, actually it is more subtle like that.

You can use the DSP in the AP 2722 to generate a shaped burst! So apparently my problem has a solution, although I still would like to know if a stand-alone signal/function generator exists that can do it too ...

Jan

Attachments

• burst.jpg
    burst.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
REW's tone burst generator is fairly flexible, but not a standalone solution of course.

Of course! I should have thought about that, this also is a very flexible option. More flexible than the AP actually, which has, as far as I can see, no selectable windowing.

I need it as a test signal for my 2kV direct drive amp for ESLs, I am too chicken to apply full signal right away ;-)

Jan

Attachments

• burst rew.PNG
    burst rew.PNG
    42.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I need it as a test signal for my 2kV direct drive amp for ESLs, I am too chicken to apply full signal right away ;-)
I've been using REW's tone burst function recently, for output stage valve amp testing - applying just a few sine pulses avoids red-plating and other stresses (such as my ears if I have a speaker connected) - just need a digital scope for plot capture.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have a simple dual channel function generator but couldn't get it to do what I wanted.
But between the AP and REW with my trusted Focusrite soundcard, I'm all set.

That is what I like on this forum - you just talk about something and you get ideas and thinking points and before you know it, your problem is solved! Thanks guys.

Jan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan
This classic among the cheap ebay DDS has two preset waveforms that may suit you. A sinc pulse (Pre 6) and an amplitude modulated one (Pre 9), both freq and amplitude adjustable from the front panel controls.
Then you can ampl modulate one output from the other, or draw a 2048 points arbitrary waveform (through the SW and a USB connected pc)

George

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    586.3 KB · Views: 121
  • FY3224-PRE6-wave.png
    FY3224-PRE6-wave.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 107
  • FY3224-PRE9-wave.png
    FY3224-PRE9-wave.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 98
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.