DC Power Supply advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at Leader 152, HP 6205C, HP 6255A, Topward TPS4000, BK 1651, Heath IP-2718, and GW GPC-3020.

I have a nice BK1743 but now have a need for concurrent + and - and seems I can get one of these two channel units for less than I can get another BK 1743.

Any obvious winners or losers here?

Thanks for any advice on these or another affordable model I may have missed.
Budget is < $100 US and I don’t mind a bit of recapping or tinkering and don’t need lab grade performance.

Jeff

Thats the one I recommended 1audio.

I don't think much of the fully digital twin display made in China power supplies , I have one and the left-hand side display failed -- I should have checked before buying it its a common fault.

Stick to the old models that old Farnell just goes on and on working and you can "dual it up " ( +/- ).

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I realized that after I posted (and bought one). The China lab supplies do not give me the sense of confidence in their performance that the older supplies do. I have older (40+ years) Lambdas with less than 500 uV ripple and noise with original caps. The China stuff is not close new. And switchmode bench supplies strike me as noise problems.

Not to rob your thread but does anyone know of a dual bench supply with higher than normal rails, say up to +/-80v, with adjustable current limit? This would be very handy for checking complimentary class A/B. I don't need it to drive a speaker - just need to check for proper output transistor bias and output offset with a mild load so therefore +/- 1 amp would be sufficient. I have a BK precision I've had to fix a couple times and provides +/-28 max.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just received the Leader supply. its quite well made and HEAVY. The supplies all seem to work pretty well. However I have a few complaints Ill be working on.
1) Current limiting does not go to zero. While not a disaster its less useful as a constant current supply. I may be able to adjust it I hope.
2) The common of the dual supply is connected to the common of the 5V supply. This is not what I would have expected and is less useful.
3) the controls are quite stiff.
4) Its not wide enough to support my Siglent.
Still should be quite useful.

Got the Leader today. Functions nicely. I think the stiff adjustments are intentional. At least for me it makes fine tuning to .01 volts. They feel like they are viscous damped.

One issue that I am wondering if others are seeing; the calibration of the meter to 0 for 6v calls for zeroing the volt meter with VR506. On mine, VR506 is moving the ammeter, not the voltmeter. All other adjustments worked fine and the volts and amps are in spec and rock solid. Thought perhaps it is a misprint in the manual but there is no other VR dedicated to the 6v meter adjustment.

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.