Upgrading scope advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Time to break down and upgrade my old Tek scope. It is great, but I really want a storage scope. Don't need it fast. The last storage scopes I used were still phosphor storage (mainframes and 466)

Looking at auction offerings,
Tektronix 2000 series, much older, controls like on my old one.
Tektronix 300 series, circa 93-94 or so. CRT based
Tektronix 1000 series, the newer LCD based
Some HPs, but I know little about them. Always had Tek back in the factory. Some newer off brands, but I know zero about them.

Then there are the PC based USB scopes. We get a bigger screen of course, but do they really do the job of a traditional external trigger, delayed sweep, storage etc? I guess as slow as 20Mhz would be OK.

The "boss" wants me to spend less than $200. Just outbid on a 1002B last night.

I’ve got a Tek TDS-340a at home. Nice CRO. Easy to drive, accurate, makes 100 MHz on two channels and does 500Msps. No complaints. They go for around the $200 mark.

Newer Tek CROs are pretty awful. Very slow, very limited, unless you pay a pile of money.

Older HP CROs are a bit of a mixed bag. The performance is often pretty good, but they’re just such pains to drive. Newer HP CROs are quite nice, but awfully expensive.

I’m a big fan of LeCroy CROs. I’ve had a couple professionally and they’re the ducks guts, but they’re a lot rarer and good ones are stupidly expensive.

Thanks for the comments. Helpful actually.

Single shot storage. Old one ( 2235) works great. Well, it is a Tek!

Not seen a 340 for sale yet. 310, 320 and 350 are CRT. Maybe the "a" versions went to LCD. That would be great for bench space. 1012 and 1002 are LCD and the short case.

Amazon has a Hantek, I guess the main Chinese clone, 70Meg for $215. As cheap as a used one. Advantage with Amazon, if it is a POS, it goes back. I think I'll try it.

Neither Tek nor HP are what they were. Real shame. :(

If you're entertaining a Hantek, for similar dough you can get a GW Instek - and ones made in the last few yrs have a 'lifetime guarantee' (have never read the smallprint btw). I'm looking at one now. My trusty TDS2014 (had it for around 15 years - got it s/hand) won't boot as of a couple of days ago, so the GW has been pressed into service. Even though the GWI is a much newer model, it's not as ergonomic as the TDS2014 (this is where Tek scores). But it's made in Taiwan, and my experience with GWI gear has been that it approaches Jap-made stuff from the 80s in terms of reliability.

I have several Tek 7000 mainframes, but they are really for nerding out. Once you get used to instant RMS readings that you get with a digi scope, you won't go back. My feeing is that a GWI will last longer than a Hantek, for not much more outlay. I keep thinking that one day I'll pony up for an uber scope, but as I'm fortunate enough to own an analyser and don't do much digital work, it'd be an expensive luxury.

Will investigate. I know they have been around a while.

My original super geek was a Tek tube type, dual gun 60 Megger. The one where the power supply was in a separate cabinet. Trace was as sharp as a razor, but it pulled like 14A. I think I actually wound up tossing it out in the early 80's.

Joined 2011
I’m a big fan of LeCroy CROs. I’ve had a couple professionally and they’re the ducks guts,
but they’re a lot rarer and good ones are stupidly expensive.

The CRO versions are considered non-repairable by LeCroy now, so beware. Also if you are looking at one,
fully check the functionality of each input. If an input amplifier has been damaged, it also cannot be repaired.
Often the internal 50 ohm terminators are damaged as well. We had to recycle about ten CRO LeCroys.

Suzyj:

CRO = "Cathode ray oscilloscope."

The Tek TDS-340a is an all digital oscilloscope with a liquid crystal display (LCD.)

No cathode ray tubes involved.

Well unless an LCD has a yoke, you’re completely wrong.

FB1DCDC6-7229-43C5-BC4A-338961FF38B6.jpeg

I see Siglent and Rigol a lot. Never heard of either.

Many swear by them. I'm not overly impressed. I picked up a Keysight DSOX1102G last year. It's a wonderful scope. The DSOX1102A is the one without a built-in signal generator. There's an educational version as well, which is considerably less expensive, but also doesn't have the fancier features.

Looks like the DSOX11xx has been replaced by the DSOX12xx.

I bought mine through Mouser. It's the same price as buying from Keysight but with faster delivery time.

I still have the TEK 2465B that it replaced. I'll keep that going as long as I can. I bought the Keysight to get the storage facility and the ability to store screen shots on a USB stick.

If you can't convince "accounting" that you need a $500 scope, you could consider some of the newer "breadbox" scopes (TEK TDS1001 or TDS2000-series, for example). I'd get something with a USB port so you can store screen shots.

If you're shopping for a used scope, I'd look at reputable companies like Valuetronics. You can find similar companies through Used-Line.

Tom

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Rigol and Siglent scopes are quite good. And a much better value that current low end Tek or Keysight. There is a learning curve in the transition from a traditional CRO scope to a fully digital one but once you get the hang of it you will be able to find the digital equivalent of a delaying time base and most of the other features you are used to plus a much brighter display.
There are some interesting really inexpensive scopes from China that are limited but may be enough for you. I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087TBFB3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that works reasonably well as a waveform display with autoranging. It may work for you.
I would also recommend a Picoscope as a PC scope and have found their software to be really good. Unfortunately the $200 limit makes things harder. I do have a older Picoscope ADC200-100 (50 MHz) I would sell within your limit. However it needs a proper parallel port on the host computer. Remarkably enough Pico was maintaining software for the 23 year old product up until 2-3 years ago. I does work on Win 10.

In terms of build quality, I'd put GWI ahead of Rigol, definitely. I'd say GWI are probably on a par with equivalent model Teks for build quality. The area where they lose out is in terms of ergonomics, but I might be saying that as I'm not quite used to mine at this early juncture, whereas the Tek lived on my bench for over a decade.

Check out EEVBlog on YT for scope reviews - he looks at all of the modern brands. I seem to remember him saying similar about the GWI, i.e. nice quality, but industrial design not quite up to Tek levels.

Rigol and Siglent scopes are quite good. And a much better value that current low end Tek or Keysight.

Yep, and Siglent is actually the OEM for all new LeCroy WaveSurfer scopes, and you’ll see similarities in the UI that they have picked up over time. The low end Tek offerings in particular are warmed over old designs and not that great. Haven’t used a new Keysight scope below the 4000 series, but I’d prefer the Keysight used to a new Siglent or Rigol in that range, anyway.

A hidden gem is the Cleverscope, especially the CS448. Way out of the price range here, but I have one at the office and the isolated channels plus ENOB are really nice.

Last edited:
Keysight. Did not even know HP was sold again. Picoscopes are out of the price range, even used.

Checked out EEV. Lots to wade through. One bit did show why I want nothing to do with the pico-type clones. Most new low end are out of the range. Only a few used make it. 1000 series Tek for a new-ish design, 300 series for older CRT, but still digital storage, the old 2430 at least I understand the controls. I need to look at the H/A/K low end used. I have no real justification to spend much. Just some curiosity.

Well, I decided I like the Rigol unit, but the one on e-bay is surpassing my 50% rule for used electronics. ( New to door is only $300) But, for what I need for the current project, my PC will do it. Instead of my kluged probe, I ordered a couple of ready made sound card scope probes. Just plain old cheap probes, but with a 3 way attenuator and protection diodes built in.

Someday if I can find an excuse for the fancy scope, I'll search again.

Stupid me. The moment I ordered the sound card probes, I realized I need a DC scope. Fortunately they canceled my order. So I will keep watching a couple of the newest Teks on e-bay or buy a Rigol. For this particular problem, the cheap USB scopes would work, but I am sure the next project would need a real one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.