Recommend me an SMD air gun on Aliexpress please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I would like to get into SMD and also take advantage of the sales on Aliexpress.

I have looked at a good few....some just air gun
...some stations with soldering irons included.

The ones with irons might be handy if tips are available.
Otherwise just the air gun.

Any recommendations or ones to avoid?

Not really but most items are already "discounted" heavily anyway so you only get a few percent at best ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes really, it is fake.
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-2.png

There can be some discount but dont think missing on 11.11 sale is your loss.

If you have not already bought a device ... I have also just started with SMD and bought an 898D station that works well and seems good value. Tips and replacement parts are readily available. These are about $50 USD on ebay.

I also have an 858D, which is air gun only, in a modest workstation here at my office. It works OK, but I like the 898D better, as I think it is a better value to just get one with a soldering iron, whether or not you need it.

Hope this helps. I would be interested in what others are using.

Attachments

• IMG_20191114_090722100.jpg
    IMG_20191114_090722100.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20191114_094134887.jpg
    IMG_20191114_094134887.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 206
Purchased Hot Air Station from Farnell

Hi,
I purchased a hot air station from Farnell - and 4 of the extra nozzles :
https://uk.farnell.com/duratool/d01841/hot-air-station-500-deg-c-240vac/dp/2542911

The cost is £78.33+VAT, but after purchasing, it is available from CPC (Farnell for hobbyist) cheaper.

The unit works, but it is noisy, and the motor vibrates such that the unit moves across the bench. Not sure if it is a fault or the design.

I have removed an 8 pin SOIC opamp - but had to use the nozzle to remove the device as the solder cooled too quickly to get the tweezers in place.

Would be helpful if others could post their experience of the noise of their unit.

Regards,
Shadders.

Last edited:
For small things I use station with heater and fan in the gun, it isn't noisy, and definitely don't vibrates.
So I recommend any 868/702-type-like heater. Like in photos posted two posts above.
(I don't recommend to buy all 868/702 type station (just heater-fan), because T12 soldering station is much better and costs the same, even cheaper).

Last edited:
I have a Baku 702b for a couple of months. 70 euro, local internet shop. Seems identical to Hakko. It doesn't scream "hi tech" but I would call it decent. Not sure if it would be adequate for a pro, but for occasional diy feels good so far.

Hi,
I purchased a hot air station from Farnell - and 4 of the extra nozzles :
https://uk.farnell.com/duratool/d01841/hot-air-station-500-deg-c-240vac/dp/2542911

The cost is £78.33+VAT, but after purchasing, it is available from CPC (Farnell for hobbyist) cheaper.

The unit works, but it is noisy, and the motor vibrates such that the unit moves across the bench. Not sure if it is a fault or the design.

I have removed an 8 pin SOIC opamp - but had to use the nozzle to remove the device as the solder cooled too quickly to get the tweezers in place.

Would be helpful if others could post their experience of the noise of their unit.

Regards,
Shadders.

Mine is humming - transformers - not annoying though. The air pump is quite strong. I keep it to the lowest pressure otherwise it will wipe off tiny smd bugs. But it doesn't vibrate. It came with a screw on the bottom of the box that secures the pump during shipping. This had to be removed before first start up to avoid damage of the pump. Check this on yours.

Mine is humming - transformers - not annoying though. The air pump is quite strong. I keep it to the lowest pressure otherwise it will wipe off tiny smd bugs. But it doesn't vibrate. It came with a screw on the bottom of the box that secures the pump during shipping. This had to be removed before first start up to avoid damage of the pump. Check this on yours.
Hi,
Thanks - yes, i have just checked and in my eagerness i had not removed the transit screws. I have just checked the unit working and it is ok. Thanks for the pointer.

Regards,
Shadders.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.