need help with new workbench

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Making me homesick. I remember when the Signetics then Phillips fab was the only thing on the north side of town. You could go from one corner of town to the next in about 20 minutes. Was in the NM Air National Guard, worked on A7 electronics warfare systems. Equipment like the HP 651B was considered great gear by the DIY crowd. Bill Gates tried to get a loan from a Albuquerque bank to start what became Microsoft and was turned down. I bet the genius who did that said oops, made a bad call.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
As said: Light Light Light!!! It gets real old to mix-up 1k and 10k resistors. Or not see the stray hair-wire behind the terminal.

A chair or stool that WORKS for your back, your bench, and the way you work. I've suffered for years and really can't bench-work these days. Do not be ashamed to block-up or cut-down legs on bench or stool. Even if you get "OK", get up and stretch several times an hour.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
A lamp with magnifying glass is nice to have

Attachments

• lamp.jpg
    lamp.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 129
Hello DJN and Centurion- I'm from ABQ, born in 1958. Yes, the town has grown considerably. Retired from Sandia Labs in 2015 and moved to Pasadena to take care of the Little Old Lady from Pasadena. Once she's gone, we'll most likely move back to ABQ. We moved into my wife's family home. State income taxes and property taxes are killing me...really puts a burr under my saddle that CA taxes my pension which I earned in NM!

I now work part time at a university and keep active with the audio electronics hobby. Happy to say, there are many youngsters who love tube audio, some of them get very interested when they see some of the old gear I have at the lab. We've made some point to point tube amps/preamps and some speakers from plans/schematics from DIY Audio. A couple students have bought the Tube Lab boards and assembled nice amplifiers.

Djn
That would have been the late 70's or early 80's when gates was here. The Phillips fab is now the I-25 studios on the west side of I-25 just north of Alameda. In the early 70's Albuquerque was about half the size it is today.

Hello DJN and Centurion- I'm from ABQ, born in 1958. Yes, the town has grown considerably. Retired from Sandia Labs in 2015 and moved to Pasadena to take care of the Little Old Lady from Pasadena. Once she's gone, we'll most likely move back to ABQ. We moved into my wife's family home. State income taxes and property taxes are killing me...really puts a burr under my saddle that CA taxes my pension which I earned in NM!

I now work part time at a university and keep active with the audio electronics hobby. Happy to say, there are many youngsters who love tube audio, some of them get very interested when they see some of the old gear I have at the lab. We've made some point to point tube amps/preamps and some speakers from plans/schematics from DIY Audio. A couple students have bought the Tube Lab boards and assembled nice amplifiers.

I really thought I would have a problem with the heat but I like it now without the high humidity of the northeast. Good group of audio guys as well.

Got a new toy today. The old guy used it to rebuild antique tube radios but he got a more modern tester. Before he sold this one re replaced all the caps, all the resistors, and cleaned all the contacts.

Attachments

• 20190718_205521.jpg
    20190718_205521.jpg
    752.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 20190718_205536.jpg
    20190718_205536.jpg
    678.6 KB · Views: 168
Hi all. I picked up this power supply this morning for $40. I think it was a good deal. Just tested it and it work like it should.

Question: is a function analyzer the same thing as a distortion analyzer?

Here are pix of both.

Attachments

• 00u0u_dPZQuIxBAkS_600x450.jpg
    00u0u_dPZQuIxBAkS_600x450.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20190727_111747.jpg
    20190727_111747.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 105
Question: is a function analyzer the same thing as a distortion analyzer?

maybe, but you have a function generator by its label.

good source of square waves and triangle waves, old school way of testing with the eyes on an oscilloscope.

they also tend to go low in freq which is otherwise harder to get on a real oscillator.

distortion is higher, typically 0.1% or so. Generally they are square wave generators that then are shaped into sine and triangle, hence the high distortion. Level tends to be flat as well. No real setting time as its usually digital inside. (or maybe its triangle first, I forget)

My HP3312 Function Generator is one of my longest pieces on my bench in continuous use since the early 80's

Handy

Cheers
Alan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.