Any Omnimic 2 users?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just curious if there are any Dayton Omnimic 2 users here? I just bought one and the ability to do speaker distortion measurements sold me on it.

I used to have a SMAART system years ago but no longer have a mic or USB mic preamp etc. the Dayton system looks like a decent, usable system for basic speaker/room tuning.

Any tips/tricks? discussions? problems?

Well, I use it :)

Biggest tip is that when you need to figure out how to do something with it, search in it's help file, there's a lot in there. It may not be the best written Help ever, but I think it's pretty thorough.

Distortion is a more complicated thing than a lot of DIYers seem to consider. Keep in mind that nonlinear distortion depends on level -- an X% (0r -XdB) distortion number means about nothing without info about what level it is being played and how far away it is being measured from, so make sure you get that too! You need to have the setup relatively free of noise, echoes and reflections for a decent measurement which usually means the mic has to be relatively close to the speaker. But too close and too loud can cause the mic itself to distort so there's usually a balancing act to deal with. And people can get obsessed with harmonic or other nonlinear distortions, as if the lowest distortion drivers will always sound the best, even though research indicates that people just aren't very sensitive to it in fact.

I need to do some speaker tuning and the speaker distortion measurement interest's me the most. I need to sit down and read the manual. My old SMAART system was pretty easy to use but very limited comparatively.
I figured out how to get my mic cal file installed but have not had much time to really spend with it yet.

OmniMic is very friendly. No steep learning curve.

The first thing you should do is copy all the wave files on Disk2 to your pc.

Copy them as .wav

Install a player. I use Foobar.

For Distortion measurement, place mic about 2ft from speaker.

Selection Distortion button on OmniMic Panel.

Use Foobar and play Track 3, which is Long Sine Wave.

It will record the 2nd-5th Harmonic Distortion.

For speaker tuning, I suggest you do a FR sweep first. Most of the time, the problem is in the crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.