The Franken-Load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

For the final development of my E-variac, I needed a high-power, configurable load that could operate for extended periods of time.

This is what I improvised, using heating elements cannibalized from old coffee machines.
I had two left in the attic, and found two more at my in-laws.

These elements are quite suitable: they are compact, of a consistent and reasonable power (~750W), and unlike incandescent lamps, they are linear.
Of course, they cannot operate without cooling, except at low power, or for very short durations.

I crammed them into an old chassis, together with a number fans.
I can configure the load for 450W, 500W, 750W, 1150W, 1900W, 2250W, and with 45W of cooling power, it can easily operate continuously.

Ugly but effective!

Attachments

• Franken1.jpg
    Franken1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 305
  • Franken2.jpg
    Franken2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 299
  • Franken3.jpg
    Franken3.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Franken4.jpg
    Franken4.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 286
Or just let it flow,let it flow... Down the drain.
1 l/min, +30C centigrade = 2100 W cooling.
Agreed, but water in means tap supply or tank, water out = drain or another tank, flow control, leak-proof plumbing, etc.
Not very appealing for something that is going to be operated at a few hundreds of volts.
I prefer to keep everything dry, and at a 2~3kW power level, it is perfectly possible

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.