Why are GPIB converters so expensive???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Dave;

I hate to say it but when you are in the GPIB/HPIB/IEEE-488 world you are in the world of businesses/professionals who buy HP/Rhode&Schwartz/Tektronix. $150.00 doesn't even register.

I use a National Instruments USB-HPIB converter at work and it was over $500.00 a few years ago. Serial interfaces are much less expensive but they are usually not available on older instruments.

Anything cheaper on ebay?

Matt

I only use NI now, because it seems to work with everything else.
And almost nothing else wants to co-exist smoothly with Labview.
Can't seem to avoid tests written in Labview and MATLAB cluttering
my PC with multiple runtime versions, already confusing enough...

$150 worth of added frustration on top of what I already deal with
is not what i call saving money.

Non-NI GPIB's stay in the bin, excepting those very few tests that
demand an NI free PC with very specific oddball GPIB device driver.
Actually, I can only think of one...

Never tried Pete's 8903, can't comment specifically on that combo.
We have AP2700, and its not using any GPIB that I know of...

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
For Labview, the NI controllers work well. They are expensive, though. As is Labview...
I believe Pete Millett's software requires the NI controller as well.

I use the Prologix controllers. I have both the USB and LAN versions. Especially the LAN version is awesome. It's truly a plug & forget solution. It's on the network if I need to address it. No need to mess with USB drivers short USB cables and other silliness.

The AP SYS-2700 does have GPIB. At least the one we have at work does. It's more useful with its own proprietary control card and software, though.

~Tom

Thanks Tom. (nice website too) I'm on a budget, so big $$$ for an adapter is not going to happen. Dmnieto mentioned an adapter from Beiming Technology above. So for me, it is going to be between the Beiming or Prologix. Dmnieto stated the adapter worked with his 8903 and Pete's software. I just need to confirm if the Prologix adapter works with the 8903 and Pete's software. I searched a bit, but nothing solid yet.

Feedback is always appreciated!

Dave

Thanks Tom. (nice website too) I'm on a budget, so big $$$ for an adapter is not going to happen. Dmnieto mentioned an adapter from Beiming Technology above. So for me, it is going to be between the Beiming or Prologix. Dmnieto stated the adapter worked with his 8903 and Pete's software. I just need to confirm if the Prologix adapter works with the 8903 and Pete's software. I searched a bit, but nothing solid yet.

Feedback is always appreciated!

Dave

Pete's software uses Agilent VEE which will use VISA to communicate with the GPIB interface. The Prologic adapter does not have a VISA driver, unfortunately. The 82357B clone will use the genuine Agilent 82357B drivers including VISA, so it should work with Pete's software. (I don't have one and haven't tried that though; I have a NI GPIB card).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.