Use STP brake cleaner on noisy radio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a roberts R25 radio that is very noisy when moving the tuning dial. I remember reading that to clean it I could spray the part with a cleaner. WD40 would work but apparently would then collect dust. As I have some stp brake cleaner, would this work as a contact cleaner or would it destroy the radio?. I also have some head cleaning solution. Would that work?.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If it's a variable cap with many vanes then it has to be clean but also if/where the centre shaft runs through any bearings then these need to be treated with a little switch cleaner etc... or WD40... but only a pin head sized drop, then move the shaft fully one end to the other and repeat.

I would use a soft brush and vacuum first and then try lubricating the bearings as described... all assuming it's that type of variable cap and not an enclosed one.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Brake cleaner is nasty s**t. If you choose to use it, I'd definitely take the variable cap out of the radio first. Make sure there aren't any plastic parts on the cap before blasting it.

I'd be gentle. As Mooly suggests - maybe all you need is a tiny drop of acid free oil in the right place. Use a syringe and hypodermic needle.

~Tom

Be careful with brake cleaner if it's near a soldering iron or other heat source. I've seen several warnings about brake cleaner nearly killing people after using it to clean metal parts and then welding them. It forms a poison gas from the heat. I don't know if a soldering iron is hot enough to make this happen but look into this matter before using brake cleaner. Better safe than sorry! Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.