Decent table saw

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I'm looking in to getting myself a decent table saw and since I know nothing about them I thought I'd look for some input.

One thing I know I want is the ability to do bevel cuts and a sliding feed seems like a good idea. I'm willing to spend a fair amount, but at the same time don't want to go overboard. Really I'm willing to drop over £1000, but not if I can get what I need for £500.

The main thing that is important is accuracy. It needs to be able to make perfect cuts (assuming it's properly aligned and operated) every time. The very limited experience I have with table saws suggests it can be quite easy to come away with innacurate cuts and even cuts that aren't square, though that could have been the fault of the operator.

I'm aware you can get laser guided saws... is this a really useful feature or not? It's hard to know how well it works without ever having used one.
Any other features I should be looking out for/brands to avoid etc

Many thanks

Pinkmouse describes what we refer to here as "contractor saws" vs. "cabinet saws". If you aren't going to move it, a heavy cabinet saw can't be beat. Even a very good contractors saw can do a fine job if it has a good fence system. IMO, you should invest a significant portion of your funds in a good fence system. I believe there are also some excellent European multifunction saws with sliding guides, though they can be quite expensive. Fine Woodworking magazine tests table saws now and then, if you can find a copy.

Hi valleyman,
Have a look at DeWalt flip-over table saws, I think you can use it as a cross-pull and table saw (don't ask me the model number though). Maybe Makita would offer something similar aswell.
Thanks
Gareth
PS I agree with pinkmouse in that lasers on a saw are an absolutey great steaming pile of poo, keep lasers for CDplayers oh, and StarWars, and the worlds a happier place ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.