• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Elektor-based 35 W self-oscillating boost converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I found an interesting article on self-oscillating boost converter from Elektor 2001 summer circuits collection. The title is "12V-to-24V Converter", author G.Baars.

The schematic for my slighly modificated version is shown as an attachment: the semiconductor components shown are not final, I have recently ordered more capable ones from the Ebay. I intend to have a 12V to 25V @ 1.5A converter so that if higher power is required, these individual converters could be parallelled. The most significant change is that I will use SMD parts (except the output caps), mostly 0805 resistor&caps.

This converter works with constant duty cycle defined by the astable multivibrator capacitances C1&C3. If a change in the duty cycle is needed, the value of C3 can be altered. The operating frequency is set by R1&C1. I came to these values after some simulations with a stepping current load. Anyway, the multivibrator provides the gate drive pulses. The difference amplifier Q3&Q4 compares the output voltage (divided by R10&Rtrim) with the zener voltage and shuts down the FET via Q5 when needed. The rest of the converter is a typical boost output stage with LC filter.

Has anyone experimented with this converter or any similar, non-isolated self-oscillating one? I'll post measurement results here as soon as I get the converter up and running.

Attachments

• self_oscillating_boost.pdf
    28.1 KB · Views: 414
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.