TU-8600S tubes tried and liked

Hi Billah, really glad I found this thread I've just started rolling on my 8600SVK which I built in March. I had Gold Lions throughout and the amp sounded great fresh out of the box but then a friend pointed me toward a 1960's Brimar 12AX7 and this thing was a night and day improvement over the GL 12AX7. More texture, space and punch and just as much bass as the GL.

Next I replaced the 12AU7's with 6189 Kb/ad Brimar's not such a jump to be honest, initial reaction is it sounded slightly darker, richer can't actually remember

Not started on the 300b's as this is where things get expensive and i'll probably look at other upgrades before then so would welcome any thoughts you had here?

Oh and I should add I hVE tried a Electro Harmonix 12AX7 and it was a limp, sibilant mess. May have just been a dud though...

Pretty simple set up here Novafidelity X35 > TU-8600SVK -> Living Voice Avatars.

David

Killer setup! Interesting how living voice gets that high of sensitivity out of relatively small woofers.

Killer setup! Interesting how living voice gets that high of sensitivity out of relatively small woofers.

Thanks Billah, it's so nice to shed loads of boxes and staggering how good the LV's sound with this amp, if you get a chance give them an audition. I think I'll be slowly working my way up the LV range over time as they are tuned so well for tubes...

Are you both running the stock 8600S or have you upgraded the caps/resistors? I'm interested in the next upgrade before I tackle the 300B's but not sure if I can be bothered to redo all the resistors.

CuTF caps, Lundahl transformers. Per Victor and what I have read about tube amps, they make a big difference. Upgraded transformers are more impactful than upgraded tubes.

For speakers, I’m kicking around 4pi or Altec 604 clones from Great Plains. Trying to spend less than $4k on speakers.

CuTF caps, Lundahl transformers. Per Victor and what I have read about tube amps, they make a big difference. Upgraded transformers are more impactful than upgraded tubes.

For speakers, I’m kicking around 4pi or Altec 604 clones from Great Plains. Trying to spend less than $4k on speakers.

Hi Billah - yes I have the Lundahl OPT's so will check out the caps. I managed to get some old LV Avatars for a reasonable price which are a night and day improvement over my old speakers. Altec 604 drivers sounds very cool but beyond my capability I think to get them appropriatly housed.

Yes, those are the correct ones. I bought them from Victor. He had matched sets for cheaper than any other supplier. There is another thread here with pictures for the correct directional installation. They are polar devices. Victor also posted a Vimeo video with the same info. They take a while to break in and sound fantastic after 200 hrs. I never thought the sound of a component would change so much over time.

Victor or anyone else…..
I am running a 5751 tube (70 gain) in the 12AX7 (100 gain) position and it sounds great. Do you know if a 12AT7 (60-70 gain) will work also? I see that it has slightly higher current than 12AX7.

The reason I ask is that there are a lot of high quality 12AT7 NOS tubes for significantly cheaper than 12AX7 and 5751.

Thanks,
Billy