TU-8500 phono stage upgrades

You are getting a very healthy gain for that cart on that 63dB input.

I tried using the 8500 without the step up transformer just out of curiosity. but at 0.12mV I had the volume knob pegged.

How do you like that cart?? All of the reviews I read about last year when I was looking for a new cartridge were highly positive.It was 3rd on my list only because of the price, I had just bought a Triplanar MKVii U2 SE. Spending all of that just within the span of a week seemed like too much, Lol

Going a bit far afield, but the Cadenza Black is excellent. I'm an Ortofon 'house sound' fan, now being on my second stylus in the Kontrapunkt-b.

With my TU-8500 I've put about 25hr on the K-b, about 25hr on the AT33R, now about 25hr on the Cadenza Black and will be swapping in the Kleos when I'm thru typing this. Each has its own sound, but the two Ortofons are similar.

I was thinking I might add a K&K SUT (Lundahl) in front of the phono input so could run at the MM level. As everything fully breaks-in I'm no longer sure that will be necessary. But, Victor's Sun Valley tube phono-stage with Lundahl SUTs may be just what I want. We'll see.

Entry level MC for 8500

I have only used MM cartridges with my 8500. Recommendations for a MC that won't break the bank to compare to my MM's. I've rolled in the OPA2227p and given them about 50 hours of listening, won't be going back, I really love this preamp...just gets better and better...thanks

Same feeling here. Of all the gear I've owned (from mild to wild - just sold my last piece of Mark Levinson) the TU-8500 gives me as much joy as any single one of them. I'm listening to Chick Corea's "Friends" with the Kleos and think it is worth every cent.

As I do not know how big your bank is I'm not sure what would break it. I'm also a fan of the AT house sound, so for $1000, give or take, I would recommend the AT-ART7 or ART9. getting close to $500 one of the upgraded DL103s would be very nice. Talk to Steve Leung at VAS Audio. He has a few versions of the 103 available and won't steer you wrong. The biggest surprise you will get is how much quieter & more detailed an MC is compared to a MM. The TU-8500 phono-stage does a good job with them.

Going a bit far afield, but the Cadenza Black is excellent. I'm an Ortofon 'house sound' fan, now being on my second stylus in the Kontrapunkt-b.

With my TU-8500 I've put about 25hr on the K-b, about 25hr on the AT33R, now about 25hr on the Cadenza Black and will be swapping in the Kleos when I'm thru typing this. Each has its own sound, but the two Ortofons are similar.

I was thinking I might add a K&K SUT (Lundahl) in front of the phono input so could run at the MM level. As everything fully breaks-in I'm no longer sure that will be necessary. But, Victor's Sun Valley tube phono-stage with Lundahl SUTs may be just what I want. We'll see.

Im going to have to consider the Cardenza in the future!

That's a pretty impressive cartridge collection!! And I just have to say Im very impressed you own a Kontrapunkt B, and a Kleos! How exactly did you go about getting the stylus changed? does Ortofon do that in house?

I understand where you are coming from, The ART7 is my first air coil and I'm hooked. I would really like to add the AT50ANV to my collection. I love the sound signature.

All of your cartridges have pretty good outputs, looks like the Cadenza is the lowest one? Looks like your good without a SUT.

That new Sun Valley Phono does look very interesting. Im keeping a close eye on it. no plans right now though, Im very satisfied with my 8500, I have never heard a cleaner signal than what I'm getting.

Think these days Ortofon gives one a credit towards a new cartridge. Not sure, but they once did in-house retips.
Peter Lederman (sp?) at Soundsmith does a good job as does Steve Leung at VAS Audio. They have good websites that provide info on their retip services. Selection of stylus shapes & cantilever materials. Have used both and always happy with their service. Steve rebuilds cartridge suspensions and also services TAs. Had him rewire my Stax with Nordost Valhalla silver.

Last edited:
I have only used MM cartridges with my 8500. Recommendations for a MC that won't break the bank to compare to my MM's. I've rolled in the OPA2227p and given them about 50 hours of listening, won't be going back, I really love this preamp...just gets better and better...thanks

I've only been into MC for a few years now.. The first time I heard one it blew my mind. A lighter cantilever makes a pretty big difference!

Audio Technica AT-OC9 variants start from a couple hundred to upper $700 depending on the stylus type, plus they have a 0.4mV output so you won't need a step up transformer.

It sure does! It's like whiskey from a barrel! the flavor changes for the better over time .

Think these days Ortofon gives one a credit towards a new cartridge. Not sure, but they once did in-house retips.
Peter Lederman (sp?) at Soundsmith does a good job as does Steve Leung at VAS Audio. They have good websites that provide info on their retip services. Selection of stylus shapes & cantilever materials. Have used both and always happy with their service. Steve rebuilds cartridge suspensions and also services TAs. Had him rewire my Stax with Nordost Valhalla silver.

There are several vintage cartridges I've had my eyes on for some time now, like the AT1000MC, but only used can be found these days. how much did it cost if you don't mind sharing that?

There are several vintage cartridges I've had my eyes on for some time now, like the AT1000MC, but only used can be found these days. how much did it cost if you don't mind sharing that?
At the time (some years ago) I went with what was Soundsmith's best, which was $350. Sounds as good as ever. The selection of stylus configurations and cantilever materials has grown since that time and prices have gone up accordingly. I have always stayed with the original configurations for both, wanting to stay with the original sound.

BTW - both my Kleos and Candenza Black have been retipped. I'm not into paying $2800 or $3800 for a new cartridge and keep my eye out for ones with snapped off cantilevers. $400-500 for the cartridge and the same for a quality retip is a much better deal. I've not purchased a 'used' cart and would likely only do so if the cost of the used cartridge and retip (if needed) total were still a good deal compared to new. The way I purchase the seller must agree to send to Steve Leung for a 'check up' (not free) and if he gives a clean bill-of-health then we are good. Steve checks everything (suspension, etc.) when he does a retip.

Another cartridge I've always wanted to try is a Sumiko Blackbird LO version. Can be had new for ~$1000. Micro Benz periodically puts out a run of factory retipped carts at good prices as well. Just have to keep surfing the used audio websites, including that big auction website. All my carts except the Kleos came from Japan. The K-b & AT33R were new. Just like our great little Elekit TU-8500.

Last edited:
I found an Ortofon X1-MCP that I totally forgot I had. It's old but not many miles on it. It's a p mount but I have an adapter. Anybody have any experience with this one, it's a MC with high output? I had it on a Sony front load turntable years ago. I may give it a go and see how it sounds?

Not sure that your older MC will provide any if the attributes I've mentioned for MCs, but your can get all the info on same here:
Ortofon X1-MCP X1 MCP X1MCP phono cartridge,Ortofon X1-MCP X1 MCP X1MCP phonograph cartridge,Ortofon X1-MCP X1 MCP X1MCP P-mount T4P phono cartridge, Ortofon X1-MCP X1 MCP X1MCP MC cartridge,Technics SL-10 turntable phono cartridge – Jico Canada

Also, not sure if you think it is worth the cost, but were me I would send to Steve Leung for a 'check up' to insure the stylus won't eat your LPs.

Hey thanks, looks like Ortofon tried to make a MC with specifications similar to MM. My system sounds so good right now, with 8500, 8200, Markaudio full range pensils, and Uturn Orbit (MM cartridges), I think I'm going to enjoy for now, maybe at some point I'll give it a try...thanks again for the great response and information...

Last edited:
At the time (some years ago) I went with what was Soundsmith's best, which was $350. Sounds as good as ever. The selection of stylus configurations and cantilever materials has grown since that time and prices have gone up accordingly. I have always stayed with the original configurations for both, wanting to stay with the original sound.

BTW - both my Kleos and Candenza Black have been retipped. I'm not into paying $2800 or $3800 for a new cartridge and keep my eye out for ones with snapped off cantilevers. $400-500 for the cartridge and the same for a quality retip is a much better deal. I've not purchased a 'used' cart and would likely only do so if the cost of the used cartridge and retip (if needed) total were still a good deal compared to new. The way I purchase the seller must agree to send to Steve Leung for a 'check up' (not free) and if he gives a clean bill-of-health then we are good. Steve checks everything (suspension, etc.) when he does a retip.

Another cartridge I've always wanted to try is a Sumiko Blackbird LO version. Can be had new for ~$1000. Micro Benz periodically puts out a run of factory retipped carts at good prices as well. Just have to keep surfing the used audio websites, including that big auction website. All my carts except the Kleos came from Japan. The K-b & AT33R were new. Just like our great little Elekit TU-8500.

I've always wondered who was buying damaged carts.

You obviously got this down to a science!! I will have to give this a try! thank you for sharing, That's not a bad deal at all, especially with high priced carts.

OK....... rolled in the pair of TI LM4562NA opamps and immediately sounds as if there is a bit more "air" & "shimmer" around the top half and a bit more detail throughout. And, a bit quieter. Of course, I'm spinning a good LP, so it will take some hours of listening to confirm. Is simply delightful listening with the gain set at 1.1x, MC position, volume at 9-10 o'clock and the Lyra Kleos, which likes the 100ohm load of the TU-8500 phono (the Cadenza Black..... not so much, needs to get down around 10-15 to strut its stuff).

For the $25 I don't think you could go wrong. Especially if you have the original opamps in there and are a vinyl person.

Next up is to roll in a pair of Gold Lion tubes in place of the JAN Phillips, which are excellent. I'll put 100hr on the 4562s so will know that any change is the result of the tubes and not the opamps settling in.

Will likely try the Sparkos Labs VReg as the next "roll".

Adding a pic of the TU-8500 with the 'top down' waiting for the week to go by so can roll in the GL tubes.

Attachments

• TU-8500.JPG
    TU-8500.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 287
Nice find!! The LM4562NA haven't come up on any of the forums I have browsed for Phono section Opamp recommendations. I just bought a pair from Mouser just now, I already have the adapters on hand. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these, I'm really looking forward to them, they look great on paper.

I had to double check the loading requirement on the Cadenza Black, Every manufacturer gets a little weird when sating the cartridge loading, some start from the absolute minimum and say greater then that, while others stick to the most common 100 ohms and say greater then that.. Following the 10x rule seems to give the best sound. but even following that rule means the Cadenza would sound it's best at 50ohms due to the 5ohm internal resistance. So 100ohms is probably giving quite a bump to higher frequencies making the Cadenza sound bright I'm guessing??

I really loved the Gold Lions on the TU-8500, but I ended up liking the NOS Mullard a little bit more. Another really good preamp tube are those from PSvane, I just swapped out the the gold lion pre amp tubes in the TU-8600 with Psvane and Im really liking the sound, they sound a little more full bodied than the Gold lion in the 8600. I haven't tried PSvane in the 8500, but i'm very curious. Either way you can't go wrong with Gold Lion or PSvane it's going to come down to personal preference. I like them both equally for heir qualities! I still swap my nos mullard with the gold lion on occasion.

Im still waiting on OPA827 for my OPA827/Sparkos labs hybrid Opamp. They should be here today or tomorrow maybe.

Look forward to you next update!

Adding a pic of the TU-8500 with the 'top down' waiting for the week to go by so can roll in the GL tubes.

Nice setup! That TT looks phenomenal! I love how it looks with that tone arm.

I feel the pain of having to slowly add upgrades. It took me about a month of listening as I swapped out the stock components with the 8500 and 8600.

I'll Have to share my set up later today!