Discrete DAC in Krell KAV 300CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is not the d/a convertor, but the analog output stage.

>The analog circuitry uses Krell's Current Mode Gain amplification. According to Krell's North American Sales Manager, Bill McKiegan, this circuitry uses "about a bazillion" discrete bipolar transistors (footnote 3): "We use the same Current Mode Gain circuitry for the output circuitry on the KAV-300cd that we use on the KRC-3 and the Full Power Balanced amplifiers. It drives the signal as current rather than as voltage, which makes for faster delivery and quicker, more linear topology than in voltage-gain stages. This requires a ton of parts, which is why you don't see it much in audio—but Dan [D'Agostino] has never been afraid of putting parts in a box if it was the right thing to do," he explained.<

The D/A convertors are a standard 20bit twin Burr-Brown PCM1702K.

Cheers George

Hi,
I have worked on a identical Teac digital decoder/servo board
in a Copland CDA288 with 4 X PCM63.Did a full cap change and bridge diodes to ultrafast.

I suspect the I/V section is just marketing hype,instead of an all opamp ciruit,Krell mixes discrete transistors to look more hi-tech.
Looks good on paper but usually falls flat in practice.How's the stock sound? The Teac CMK4 transport is quite delicate,I advise not to dismantle it unless you want to change the laser. What do you intend to do with it? Pity to save cost it has only one power transformer unlike the Copland's two,for analog and digital.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.