Using differential amps for output I/V?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I've been planning a design for a DAC that uses PCM1794, and I am getting very interested in making it have balanced output, to take advantage of my amp. Anyway, I've been looking at differential op amps from ADI (AD8138) and TI (OPA1632). They both seem to have very good specs, and seem pretty straightforward. I'm just wondering why there aren't many designs here using either of these. Are most of you averse to using differential I/V or are there other reasons this may be a bad idea? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

The THS4131 (same as opa1632) is used in the Bel Canto DAC2. We're planning to use the opa1632 in a dac we're designing in a group on headfi. I hope it will work fine :D They have quite a few advantages : amazing specs (comparable to the newest THS4631), only one opamp used instead of two (cost, size, ease of layout) and they're quite cheap compared to traditional opamps.

The boards will have both single ended and balanced outputs. We use the opa1632 for the I/V, then single opamps to go unbalanced, or again opa1632 for the balanced output buffer. We're basically finished, we're waiting for the comments of someone before ordering one or two prototypes. Then we'll probably release the files needed for anyone to order his own pcbs.

If you wonder what we're speaking about : http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157955&page=21 , the latest published layout is not exactly the last version but it's getting close.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.