FM Transmitter for iPod...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tried an itrip, but it had to be within 2-3 inches of the receiver to work properly, so back it went.

Has anyone tried making their own stereo transmitter with, um, slightly more output power? I don't need the capability to program through the iPod, any fixed freq would work.

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

it had to be within 2-3 inches of the receiver

well, that shouldn't be the case! Depending on my iTrip's orientation, it works through my whole appartment, even through walls.

As for building something own, the limitation is clearly the stereo encoding. Building a mono transmitter is actually easy, and power is just a matter of power supply and output transistor choice. But getting it done in stereo and good quality is hard.

Do a search on the internet, there are many pirate radio sites out there. They provide lots of documentation about working-principles and schematics. But you may learn that the integrated solution that Griffin took for the iTrip is most likely the way to go in an own development.

Except you're skilled in programming DSPs, of course... ;)

Solutions that work reasonably better than the iTrip would come close to professional broadcasting equipment, because there is a large unfilled gap between cheap integrated 'bugs' and good processors/transmitters. There's just no market for better-than-average-but-cheaper-than-pro equipment... OTOH, there are high quality kits available, but those might cost you as much as your iPod...

Sebastian.

Forgot to add:

1) This was a G3 iTrip, used in a G4 iPod. All the connectors lined up.

2) I tried it in my apartment, with a couple of FM receivers that I know are functional, and never got any intelligible signal when the itrip was more than 1ft from anything.

3) I live in an area where the spectrum is relatively open, and tried it at all frequencies.

Has anyone tried the Monster version? Maybe with more power, it has a better chance?

Bryan

check out Ramsey Electronics

Yep, that's what I meant. The chip they use is a predecessor of what Griffin uses in the iTrips (the BA1404 series).

The mentioned link collection is also very good, although focused on commercial kits, not the quick approaches that are needed.

Check the G3 iTrip with a G3 iPod!
Check the connections, especially the supply power (measured?).

Hope this helps. ;)

Sebastian.

Although I don't own and iPod, but an iRiver H120, I have tried all the FM transmitters I could find at BestBuy, RadioShack and Circuit City. Belkin, Monster, CenDyne, iRock.

They all suck. .:bawling: I live in Baltimore, so there aren't a lot of free frequencies, but even when I could find one, there was always worse than FM reception and an annoying hiss in the background at low volumes. Which isn't a concern if all you are listening to is Death Metal, but becomes kind of annoying when listening to a Brahms Double Concerto.

When in the house I just hook it up to an audio patch cord and hit shuffle.

So I've been trying to figure out how to hook mine up to a stock Subaru stereo that doesn't have a tape deck or RCA inputs. Luckily, I think, I found a Subaru forum in which a member described a process that will resolve the connection issue by use of a open mini Din jack on the stereo and creation of a plug that will play through my headphone jack or audio out.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3357

Don't know if this will resolve your issue, but, . . . . I have also read some forums where the possible solution was an FM Modulator (???) that is wired directly into the antenna cable. Not sure what that does to the rest of your receiving capacity as I'm not an audio/electronics engineer, but it sounds interesting.

I'm hoping to complete my mod this weekend.

Good luck

Hello

You could try a Fm stereo kit sold here in australia through
Jaycar or Dick Smith using the BH1417f it has fixed frequencies
and has some surface mount components and is under $100 australian dollars. Make sure you order the BH 1417f kit as
stores have surplus stock of BA1404. The Jaycar kit using
the BH 1417 f is called a KC5341. the surface mount components
require some care to assemble

Cheers / Chris

i can't stand the radio. and searching for cds while driving is nearly impssible for me. i don't really want an ipod, being that they're too expensive, but i found a belkin tunecast 2 at goodwill for 8 bucks and figured i could use it. it's great in the house. i can plug it into the cd player downstairs and tune in on our shower radio while i shower. what i'd like to do, though, is find a way to boost the signal so i can leave it in the house and still tune in while i'm driving around town. something 2-4 miles would be great and i don't plan on pirating any stations. i just want to simulate satellite radio without having to pay a monthly fee. does anyone know a cheap solution? i already know how to increase the antenna, but i'm looking for something a little more poweful.

you're right. i shouldn't disregard the fcc. i just have a hard time trusting the opinion of a group of old men who are terrified by a woman's breast. there's nothing like a policeman shouting "nothing to see here, folks. nothing to see." to incite the masses and make everyone want to look. so, for educational purposes only, i am asking, what are the procedures neccessary to avoid so that one does not alter an fm transmitting device in a way that increases the range of the broadcasting signal? i only ask so that one is educated not to actually perform such procedures and unknowingly go beyond fcc regulations and void the warranty on said device. anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.