Audiolab 8000CDE Transformer Failures

Hi,
Would appreciate any thoughts on this:

I'm using an Audiolab 8000cde for about a year.
I left my system powered last week overnight.
The CDP was dead next day. Transformer was blowing the 1A delayed mains fuse (also blewafter I disconnected transformer from the PS.
I couldn't see any signs of heat stress etc. elsewhere. Got 2 new toroidals to replace the single, multiple secondary one.

This was fine a for a few days - no overheating, buzzing, no excess current measured through the fuse holders.

Last night the 'Uh-Oh' smell started again.
The CDP had been on for 4 hours, played a few discs, and was just sitting there powered on afterwards when it happened.

Mains fuse blew again and the transformer feeding the digital circuits' power supply was nicely broiled. Grrr.

More details: the digital power supply is in two parts, fed from one xformer's dual secondary windings paralleled.
Both sections are fused, one is 500ma and the other 1A. My replacement transformer was specced at 1660ma total secondary output.

Possible conclusions:
I wired it up incorrectly or over tightened the clamp.
The transformer was faulty or under specified.
A component in the digital circuit is failing.

I'm rechecking everything but I do not think it's an installation error, nor a faulty transformer as that would be incredibly coincidental.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?
Is it possible for an issue downstream to cause a transformer to melt when the fuses ought to be enough to prevent overcurrent.

I've had terrible luck with CD players - this is my fourth in 3 years!
Any thoughts or comments welcome. Thanks:)

"The CDP was dead the next day. The transformer was blowing the 1A delayed mains fuse (also blew after I disconnected transformer from the PS)."

So, it seems there's a problem with transformers.

I think the only way we can help you is if you provide detailed, well-lit, in-focus photos... and maybe draw a wiring diagram of how you connected two 2 replacement transformers up.

Use a PC to transfer files to memory card / hard disk.
Then use a digital player or software to play the files.

CD players are more or less obsolete, and what remain in production are flimsy copies made with cheap materials.
The other option is to find and old Japanese / Philips set in good condition.

Audiolab is a small company, possibly outsourcing from China.
Work out the costs of repairing this, and also the fact that there may be blown chips somewhere.
Then go ahead.

Last edited:
Address is IAG House...
International Audio Group, HQ in China, bought out many reputed UK brands, and reportedly reduced their quality.
Mass market to low end stuff, fancy name plate and prices.

Like Audi and Volkswagen.
A friend had to get a Skoda engine repaired (timing chain inside the block broke, engine oil pump stopped getting power, engine seized)...it had Audi, Volkswagen and Skoda logos on the casting.
So you are paying Audi prices for what is really a Skoda with lipstick, and fancy dress.

Stick to Japanese, my free advice...

Last edited:
"The CDP was dead the next day. The transformer was blowing the 1A delayed mains fuse (also blew after I disconnected transformer from the PS)."

So, it seems there's a problem with transformers.

Thanks. To clarify: I disconnected the original transformer to test it separately. It blew a fuse again because a secondary was almost shorted out.

NOTE: The fault is on the 12V 'Digital' supply, there are TWO fuses, bridges and supply caps. Today I see that both these rails are soldered together again at the output cable connector block!
So on the 8000CD, they used 2 separate xformer secondaries, and separate rails.
The 8000CDE has this all linked up. Bit weird.

Transformer datasheet: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/3169994.pdf

Attachments

• tmp-cam-7691905404690246918.jpg
    tmp-cam-7691905404690246918.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 210
  • tmp-cam-1617237500202411628.jpg
    tmp-cam-1617237500202411628.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Use a PC to transfer files to memory card / hard disk.
Then use a digital player or software to play the files.

CD players are more or less obsolete, and what remain in production are flimsy copies made with cheap materials.
The other option is to find and old Japanese / Philips set in good condition.

Audiolab is a small company, possibly outsourcing from China.
Work out the costs of repairing this, and also the fact that there may be blown chips somewhere.
Then go ahead.

LOL You are 100% correct. Been using a diy silent PC for 10+ years as my main source. CD's are just for an occasional different experience, like vinyl.

I have an old Cambridge Audio 740C which cost a lot new, but used terrible components that failed multiple times. The Audiolab is simple enough I thought it should last a few years!

I only recommend good Japanese items to friends, and sincerely wonder why I never follow my own advise:D

1. Did you use rubber pads to mount transformers?? Also, see here:
Rasing toroid transformer off the chassis

The metal plates look too stressed... I think you should not tighten the bolts so much

2. The paralleling of the bridge rectifiers is done to increase the total current available at 12Vdc terminal. It should work okay.... but, you could just make a nice bridge rectifier out of 4 soft-switching fast recovery diodes and then you do not need 2 paths

3. You could insert two 1-ohm 10W resistors instead of fuses in 12Vdc line; to measure the current on that line... the other rail (+ and -20V dc) already has two resistors, so you can confirm that the current is within a normal range right across them

Last edited:
The chassis has raised mount areas for the transformers and the replacements were similar inner diameter to suit the mount.
Neoprene pads supplied and used.
I was careful not to overtighten, and the 'remains' do not show signs of compression, but it is definitely possible.

I did a few hours burn in, and tested current across the fuseholder with a resistor - all seemed well below fuse ratings and not enough to be stressful.

Might try a bench supply on that rail for a few hours and see if it intermittently uses a lot of current.

Thanks for your good advice.

You posted as I typed...
Let it be.
IAG also owns Quad now I think, one of the members here posted pictures, badly laid out, transformer right next to amp heat sink.

IAG = Castle, Wharfedale, Mission, Quad, Leak, Audiolab, and Luxman!

Their recent Wharfedale and Quad speakers have a strong following, and are pretty decent value with good quality fit and finish. All designed by Peter Comeau afaik.

Their new Leak integrated uses an LM3886. No issues with that but it's not really in keeping with the concept and price!

I'm guessing Luxman is a fairly independent division.

You may have a doggy capacitor somewhere. However, you also have a laboratory power supply which is great. You could use the lab PS for 12VDC rail, and then increase the current until, hopefully, a dodgy capacitor (elsewhere inside the player) will overheat and pop.

That's a good idea, if it tests ok after 24hrs it was my error or transformer factory fail. If it pulls mega current and something gives... convenient way of knowing what, eh, gave after taking too much? :)

The lab supply has protection done electronically, by the means of measuring voltage drops and then, based on the amount of that voltage drop => lowering the voltage available at the output... they do have fuses as well, but they are not a (current) limiting mechanism. The fuses are there for catastrophic failures.

Last edited: