TDA1541 noise after heat up

Hello to all diyaudio users,

I bouhgt not working Arcam Alfa 5 CD player. When I got the package, it turned out to be Arcam Alpha 5 plus. ( better CDM and separate clock power suplly ). Inside Arcam I saw TDA1541 S1 with crown. I decide to repair it.

I found and order new CDM9 pro version I repalced it. Now CD player works but... :

- when I use digital out connected to my Musical Fidelity DAC everything sound great.
- when I use analog out on cold player sounds great but after few minutes start hear noise from both chanel ( temp. about 45 C ). First low noise but after higher temp inside ( about 50 C ) louder. Over temp 55 C analog output is dead, zero music, zero noise.
- when cd player is connected to power inside temp is stil about 45 and in analog out still nothing after start.
- when I disconnected Arcam from power suplly and has an ambient temperature everything play after conneted to warm up.

It see like something is wrong with analog line, what I should check first ??

Capacitors around TDA looks not good but it can give noise in analog line ??

b52920d7353cea90.jpg

Or maybe TDA1541 is broken ?? but why I have still good sound on digital out ??

I have full scheme of this DAC but my knowledge is not that high :)

From memory, the TDA1541 draws a lot of current from -15V DC rail. So, if the freeze spray does not produce any results on DAC chip, spray the -15V DC voltage regulator...

You could replace the tantalum capacitors (the 4 orange-drop-like capacitors) with electrolytes. The tantalums are known to fail.

Last edited:
Thank's for all answer !

- I have in my home ( bought last week ) almost all caps for this DAC boards ( Arcam use one of the biggest caps with TDA1541 aplication 10 x 220nF and 4x tantalum 470nF ), but I'm in home only in weekend and first I prefer ask "diyaudio" for advice. Last weekand I remove TDA and opamps from board and put DIL sockets to make repair and mods easier.

- I know whitch are tantalum caps but I'm very hapy that diyaudio society can lead an unadvanced user :up: I didn't know that these tantalas are such an important element and that they die so easily.

- I check in datasheet temps for TDA1541 and it should work to 85 C and can be storage to 150 C. Why temp 55 C give noise and after that silent ?? Does TDA1541 often die from overheating ?? I weel check all board with freez spray and check power supply

- I have scheme of this DAC and I see now that digital out is from SAA7220 pin 14 :headbash: ( and now I know why with NOS mod with bypassed SAA7220 you have only analog output :) )

e1f00cb25a5b5c7e.jpg

Any more suggestions ??

Yes... let it live :)

I put on PCB new precision slot for TDA ( first was cheap and not good ) and checked all connections.
After it I checked all power regulators and voltage on TDA1541 pins: all corect -5, +5, -15.
I pushed play and... Arcam played 2 hour without problems with temp about 46 C but few minutes later temp rises to 50 C and I heard distorsion. It was enough to blow gently and everything was back to normal.
I solved problem with bigger heatsink. Little copper goes to voltage regulators ( were hot ) and I used one from old computer.
Now my DAC i powered by ATI :D

a324adf2f6575036.jpg

and everything is ok but maybe I add little fun from laptop...

I bought Marantz CD75DX with broken CDM, when I replace TDA to Arcam I will shure that my crown is damaged.

Hi,

It took long time but I bought few parts:

ac86f54fe130aa4b.jpg

Second TDA1541, Chinese TDA equivalent and new OPA and Schottky diodes.

When I put another TDA1541 or Chinese ( very noisy ) everythink is ok.

91de496400b13939.jpg

It can play all day without change in sound. You had right, my crown is broken inside.

When I solved problem with heat up I started tune my CDP. I changed 11 diode in MB to Schottky VS11DQ10. After that I checked all power line with + and - 25V. I had fluctuation. I checked few parts on DAC boards and:
-Q203 ( FST239 ) was bad - I changed to BC239
-D211 (Zenner diode) was bad - I changed to new 2V7 1,3W (both D211 and D212)
-Q205 (BC547) was bad - changed to new BC547

Now all voltages are stable.

I changed OPA to 604

b80c46c49417dc94.jpg

after that tested all night:

5f434a39b884489b.jpg

Sounds good !!! Much better with new OPA

Because sometimes my audio system is stay off one or two weeks but Arcam is still powered, I decided to mount switch.

be49670a8b49bd7c.jpg

d5b5128c61540e46.jpg

ea7df280a46bf6c6.jpg

Now I can switch off fully Arcam if no need.

Next step - NOS modification and recap will be soon.

P.S. NOS mod will be the same like in standars Arcam Alfa 5 (without plus ) ??