TDA1541 noise after heat up

I just think you gave up to early with the original DAC.
I would have replaced all the caps on the power supply lines for it and looking at your pictures you haven't touched.
Remember that old caps can cause all sorts of problems and having the right voltage after the regulator doesn't mean they are good.

I'm not saying anything I don't judge anyone but...
In post 18 you say that after replacing the TDA you found a transistor and a diode that were faulty and that after that all supplies were stable.
Have you tried the original 1541 after that ?
It's possible that it was those faulty components causing the overheating of the DAC.
Again I'm no one to judge you but you didn't tuck the best approach to fix this CD player you went trait to the symptoms without looking for the cause.
Just saying but who am I to judge

Yes, the first thing I did after changing the diodes and transistors in the power supply on the motherboard and DAC was to put the TDA with the crown in the socket and check everything. He was playing as before. For 40 minutes it was fine, at the end of the album a buzzing started and the second album was not heard anymore. The TDA is hot enough to burn your finger. Regular TDA and Chinese replacers can be touched while working and it is slightly warm.

Now I use older TDA1541 (without A) I read opinion that it sounds better. Lukasz Fikus "Lampizator" said that : "I LOVE the non-A, it is very vigorous".

and I really appreciate the opinion of Mr. Fikus. I love the sound of my tube amp which has been personally transformed by him.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
look the datasheet, it is not the same circuitry needed on the pcb... (dem timing cap pin16/17...).

Does the Arcam work only with the tda1541 non-A since the beguining (there were few dac using the non-A ic) or does the S1 come from the original Arcam circuitry ?

No the non-A is not sounding better. Different but not better : S1, S2, or late South Asia made ic are better.

Last edited:
Does the Arcam work only with the tda1541 non-A since the beguining (there were few dac using the non-A ic) or does the S1 come from the original Arcam circuitry ?

S1 was not orginally here but PCB is designed for A version with oscillator cap on board:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I checked it at start solving problem

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Congrats on the fix but going from an S1 single crown to a plain 1541 is like going from a Ferrari to a Fiat they both do the same but are not the same thing (sound wise)

There are quite a few people that prefer TDA1541 over TDA1541A.

It is a long time ago (I went to reliable solid state playback at least 15 years ago) but I recall some Arcam models having the DAC chip failing more often than normal. I seem to recall the +5V being defective and going higher than 5V now and then. Maybe in this model, maybe not.

Last edited:
Arcam & Cambridge I think are the only dac that I've seen using different value caps on the 14 pins of the TDA. Always wondered if it would sound better.

Hi, they used different cap on 16&17 pin and bigger decoupling caps too. When I started read about TDA1541 on Lampizator page, he wrote that it's better :

"Look also at great job by ARCAM - one of the best companies in existence - they use a coil between the power supply regulator and the last caps before the power consumer pins. VERY GOOD PRACTICE. I will start doing the same in all my jobs."

and

"The biggest size of these caps that I found on any CD player is 220nF but one CD - Arcam delta DAC has 4 out of 14 caps sized 470 nF.(the orange tantals)"

I have the same in ALFA 5 Plus.

I recall some Arcam models having the DAC chip failing more often than normal. I seem to recall the +5V being defective and going higher than 5V now and then. Maybe in this model, maybe not.

I wrote that I changed Q203 and D211, look at this:

83fc7a5dbe32cc03.jpg

It was my problem with +5V ( VCC )

Hi, they used different cap on 16&17 pin and bigger decoupling caps too. When I started read about TDA1541 on Lampizator page, he wrote that it's better :

"Look also at great job by ARCAM - one of the best companies in existence - they use a coil between the power supply regulator and the last caps before the power consumer pins. VERY GOOD PRACTICE. I will start doing the same in all my jobs."

and

"The biggest size of these caps that I found on any CD player is 220nF but one CD - Arcam delta DAC has 4 out of 14 caps sized 470 nF.(the orange tantals)"

I have the same in ALFA 5 Plus.

Indeed from a commercial point of view it is but if you want to wake up the TDA you should use shunt regs, even a well design good old TL431 can do wonders.