Some Issues with Technics SL-P8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to revive my SL-P8 CD player which has a couple of issues

Firstly, when searching through a track it will skip back 20-30 seconds repeatedly so that it will never progress its search. I thought maybe its because of scratches/dirt on the cd, but I've put a rough cd in it and it seemed to search slightly better for some reason. I've also tried my best cd and it does the same on that.

It also on occasion struggles to play the 1st track like its stuck on reading TOC. If I play the 2nd track and then skip back to the 1st it will then play

Any help will greatly be appreciated

Account Closed
Joined 2018
First off, that player was manufactured around 1985.
Second, it may have dirt or lubricant dried up in the mechanism and/or motors.
Third, capacitors are far past their lifespan, as is the laser - they don't last forever.
Forth, critical adjustments may have drifted, or someone was in the unit fooling around with them - a bad thing to attempt without the proper test equipment.
And I've found that in some cases, the delicate ribbon cables become defective/intermittent as a result of aging and flexing in use.

I don't have the service manual handy, so this is the best I can speculate.
Nor is the unit on my service bench for me to examine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.