Upgrade of cd player Sony cdp x779 es

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen "upgrades" of CD players, and almost all are "aberrations". I have an CDP-X779ES and is all original, and perfect. There is not anything that can be improved. The only thing is the state of the laser pickup, the mechanism belt, but this are only a routine check.
Well, there is tiny "upgrade". I'd remove the batery memory backup, in the digital process board. When it is old, it provokes corrosion and rust in the printe circuit.
That my point of view.

i also have one of these cd players and agree with manulomos.
there are some defect mitigation repairs that could be done that are mentioned elsewhere around here.
maybe you just want to take the digital output of the player and feed it into a modern external DAC of your choice and call that your "upgrade"?

mlloyd1

I've seen "upgrades" of CD players, and almost all are "aberrations". I have an CDP-X779ES and is all original, and perfect. There is not anything that can be improved. The only thing is the state of the laser pickup, the mechanism belt, but this are only a routine check.
Well, there is tiny "upgrade". I'd remove the batery memory backup, in the digital process board. When it is old, it provokes corrosion and rust in the printe circuit.
That my point of view.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear ManoloMos,
Thank You for the answer.
How do You estimate the following points of upgrade:
(1)Improving of the clock ,
(2)Change all electrolytic caps by new audiophile,
(3)Change output chips by modern and set them in pure A class

i also have one of these cd players and agree with manulomos.
there are some defect mitigation repairs that could be done that are mentioned elsewhere around here.
maybe you just want to take the digital output of the player and feed it into a modern external DAC of your choice and call that your "upgrade"?

mlloyd1

Dear mlloyd<
I'd be grateful so much if You'll ask for the questions:
How do You estimate the following points of upgrade of the 779:
(1)Improving of the clock ,
(2)Change all electrolytic caps by new audiophile,
(3)Change output chips by modern and set them in pure A class

What changes could be heard definitely?

I forgot some tiny capacitors in digital processor and spindle motor circuit. There is the list:

C302 0.1F 5.5V This is a memory backup capacitor. Remove or replace as your taste.
C110 100uf 6.3V Check possible rust due electrolite leakage.

BSL Board - Spindle Motor PCB

C10 and C20 10uF 16V SMD It usually have lack of capacity. Doesn't affect to the performance at all.

The other caps, if you meassure each of all, you'll see that their performance is perfect.

About to modify, upgrade or repair, for example the clock, if you modify the clock generator, and you meassure the cd performance with an audio analyzer, all parameters, and are the same than with the original clock, that have no sense. I change or modify components only if there is any reason, trying to use the scientific method.
I know that there is a lot of audiophyl stuff, but I don't believe in them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.