Newbie question about the Echo Link

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry but I'm asking something about the new Amazon Echo Link, in case you understand what it does. I read various reviews (see Review: The $199 Echo Link turns the fidelity up to 11 – TechCrunch for instance), pages on Amazon.com, and I'm still totally unclear about a basic question.

They say that the normal way to use the Echo Link is with an Echo Dot or an Echo Input. The 3.5mm analog outputs of these devices should be fed to the Echo Link, and the outputs of the Echo Link should be fed to my audio system. And this will give me a big improvement in audio quality.

How is this possible? I am fetching the streaming music bits into my Echo Dot or Echo Input. I'm converting those bits to analog using (I presume) a cheap mass-market DAC chip powered by rudimentary power supply circuits inside the Echo Dot. Then I'm pumping out this mediocre analog signal using a mediocre 3.5mm cable (where the signal returns of L and R are common) to the Echo Link. How can the Echo Link improve the quality of a mediocre analog input?

I've read dozens of Q&A about the device on Amazon.com and reviews, and this part is still unclear.

What am I missing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.