Restoring a Sony CDP-101 Spindle problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Guys.

I am looking for some technical help with a Sony CDP101
I am restoring this elderly machine, and have an intermittant issue with the Spindle Motor, it doesn't always start correctly.

When you insert a disc the motor turns very slowly and has trouble getting the disc up to speed, therefore no TOC read, and disc ejection.

Other times the motor spins up correctly, the machine reads the TOC, at this point when you press PLAY, one of two things happen.

1 The disc will spin up quickly, and the machine will play the disc
2 The disc is lethargic to spin up as in the problem earlier reading the TOC, the machine eventually times out and ejects the disc

It seems as though there is a "Kick Start" signal missing when the disc is lethargic to start.

I have the manual, but am struggling to determine the sequence of events during disc spin up. I have checked all other aspects and been through the alignment process, I do notice an issue during the CVLS alignment process, RV202 seems to have no effect.

Any guidance would be much appreciated,
Thanks

Pete

Try to run the CD player in a warm room, maybe 10 degrees more than where it is now. It will need some hours to get to room temperature. If it plays without problems there, you have a good chance the grease in the motor is hard and prevents it from starting.
Options are to clean and grease it or getting a new one. Often these small motors cost less than postage... please do not use any WD40 or similar inside the player.
You need to have some very good mechanical skills for this operation and a lot of patience.

Thanks for your reply.

It does look as though the fault was caused by the spindle motor.
I was able to completely dismantle the motor, clean all the shafts and bearings then reassemble.
The motor in these machines is not the standard "cheapo" motor. It is more like a direct drive capstan motor that would be used in a VCR.

Its playing well at the moment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.