Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Denon DCD 2560 CD Player - Intermittent issue - Tray will not stay open
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2020, 02:55 PM   #1
dmarley is offline dmarley
diyAudio Member

Default Denon DCD 2560 CD Player - Intermittent issue - Tray will not stay open

I have a Denon DCD 2560 CD player. This is a high-end vintage unit that overall is in great working order and still sounds amazing. I had the belts replaced last year when the tray/drawer would not close completely. Now the unit has developed an intermittent issue where the drawer will not stay open. Sometimes when you press the Open/Close button, the tray slides out and then immediately (or, after a very brief delay) closes again. Pressing the open button again will usually result in it staying open, but sometimes you have to do this 3, 4...or more... times before it will remain open. Then other times, the door opens and stays open just fine.

I have opened the unit up, and there are 2 small switches (in the service manual for this unit they are referred to as "leaf switches") that appear to me to detect the open and closed positions of the drawer. I sprayed them both with electrical contact cleaner and - at first - I thought that had cleared up the issue. It seemed to for a time anyway, but eventually the problem came back. Maybe I just didn't get enough cleaner worked into them? They are positioned horizontally. I thought maybe if I could remove them, tilt them upright and let the cleaner get worked in better, that might do it? Or am I barking up the wrong tree even thinking its these switches? They are quite small and I would hate to risk breaking one, or the tabs that hold them in to place, in removing them - so I only want to try that if it's got a good likelihood of being the issue!

Any thoughts or suggestions? It cost me $125 to get the belts replaced last year, and so even though this is a high end unit, I am not sure I want to spend much more money fixing this new issue.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions. This is my first post here. Cheers.
Old 18th March 2020, 07:23 PM   #2
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

These microswitches would be a classic cause for problems like that indeed. What kind of contact cleaner did you use? It is quite possible that you didn't get enough in, yes. Or maybe you didn't work them enough for the corrosion to come off entirely.

FWIW, these usually are rather simple constructions.
Old 18th March 2020, 07:39 PM   #3
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I agree, micro switches are the first suspects here. The way to clean them (if you can) is to pull paper soaked in iso or cleaner through the contacts to remove any tarnish.

This very problem was one of the afflictions here:
Sony CDP790 and KSS240 Restoration Project
Old 20th March 2020, 12:49 AM   #4
dmarley is offline dmarley
diyAudio Member

Hey thanks for the feedback. This past weekend I opened the unit up again and removed the front switch from it's clip so I could hold it upright. I then applied the contact cleaner much more liberally and worked it in for several minutes by manually moving the switch back and forth. I've been using the player for several days, opening/closing several times a day and so far....no issues. So hopefully this has taken care of the problem.

Here are a couple pics - the first shows the two switches, and the second is a close-up of the front switch after I removed it from its clip/holder:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th March 2020, 06:46 AM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

That's great pleased to hear you had success with this one.

Denon DCD 2560 CD Player - Intermittent issue - Tray will not stay openHide this!Advertise here!