Nakamichi Musicbank Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Just got my hands on a Nakamichi CD Player 3. It's in good cosmetic condition, the tray goes in just fine (out not so much so) and the stocker works just fine, but there is a problem playing discs.

Upon inserting a disc the door closes, disc spins about one second and stops, table of contents is displayed. seems normal so far.

Hit play, disc spins (at what seems to be normal speed) for about 10 seconds, and stops. On very rare occasions the time display will come on, but always reads 0:00, and the disc will still stop after 10 seconds.

Have to conclude the laser is OK or would not get TOC and 10 seconds of spin. Feel free to tell me that is not necessarily true.

Would really appreciate any ideas,
Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Pretty certain Nakamichi made this mechanism for themselves (and Mcintosh) based on a Sony laser. I am sure the sled is gear driven.

I can tell you that if the sled is not in the innermost position it will move there as soon as the disc is inserted and then move out just a tiny bit.

Would a stuck tracking mech act this way?

I just repaired a denon player which was behaving this way. The head was stuck in the right position to read TOC and that's it. The other problem (I had to fix first) was it wasn't spinning up fast enough due to excessive friction from the loading mech.

It looks from the Nakamichi service manual they made this one tricky to get into, so maybe someone else has specific advice for this player, if it's a common problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.