Best way to go from S/PDIF input to RCA analog output with volume control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use a "Topping" brand DAC to interface my TV to my stereo. I am very happy with it, and they have several models available in the $80-$120 USD range. The one I have lacks a volume control, but there's no need for that feature if you are driving a system with its own volume control.

Topping also makes very reasonably priced DAC+Amplifier models. Many choices available on eBay and Amazon. For TV sound, I don't think you need any better.

Jimmy154, you are clearly very confused about this whole subject, and I sympathise with you, but wow, it's difficult trying to give you advice.

Maybe I don't need a DAC for signal coming from my TV
Correct ... if the amplifier is FDA, as we have been trying to explain.

I figure my TV is complete trash anyway.
As long as your TV has s/pdif output (usually optical) you don't need to worrry about the quality of your TV - its s/pdif digital audio output is likely to be no different than that of the most expensive TV's.

But I need:

1) optical input
2) RCA output
3) volume control
Yes, the ALIENTEK D8 (or FX-Audio D802) has 1. and 3. - plus USB input, too. You don't need 2. since these are full amplifiers.
2018 New Alientek D8 Full Digital Audio Headphone Amplifier Input USB XMOS/Coaxial/Optical/AUX 80W*2 24Bit/192KHz DC28V/4.3A-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day
It might help you to understand - FDA amps utilise true digital signal as their input, that's why they don't require a conventional DAC. All that they require is decoder circuitry to convert s/pdif or USB digital inputs to "raw" digital signal.
The D8 uses the well regarded WM8805 chip to decode s/pdif.
The D802 uses the well regarded AK4113 chip to decode s/pdif.

Remember - these units are full amplifiers - they would completely replace your Pioneer receiver.

Last edited:
I use a giant Pioneer Elite 7-channel receiver now
Fantastic. After 9 forum posts, you have finally revealed the details of your existing setup.
Here's another crazy idea - as long as you can get over your aversion to "looking" at this device, there's no need to buy anything additional at all!
Pioneer Elite receivers - not surprisingly - contain a DAC, and they have optical s/pdif input and HDMI input, and also remote control of the volume - so they have everything you desire/require ... as long as you connect and configure it correctly!

Just connect an optical s/pdif (toslink) cable from your TV to the Pioneer receiver. Bam, optimised connection successful. Job done!

Nothing against premium class audio with all bells & whistles, it is made for people loving nice touches, lots of control, put inside beautiful cabinets for grand entrance, with matching floor standers to drive the impression recreating an orchestra.

However for the rest of us, needing only audio accurate for TV & music, plain jane minimum needs like optical digital support, small layout; FDA is a god-send solution, Alientek D8 & others get the job done when paired-up with decent bookshelfs ~ at least for me :)

Last edited:
I have an M-audio Firewire 410, but it does not seem to work without being connected to a computer.
Can it be used without one?
That's one of the most important things I don't know about some of the devices I see.
I don't know if they will work without a computer, especially the ones with only USB port to power them.

I don't want a FDA amp.
I know they exist, I have a FDR I'm trying to replace.
I already assumed that the TV digital signal should be identical to any other TV, although sometimes I seem to forget this probable fact. Although I'm not sure it's true either.

I don't want a FDA amp.
I can't understand why not, but OK, so what amp do you want?

I have an M-audio Firewire 410
OMG! Another device you didn't tell us about!
Yes, that's a perfectly usable DAC for your purpose - optical s/pdif input, and unbalanced audio output (1/4 inch jack, not RCA).
The only thing it doesn't have is remote control of the (line) output gain - so if you want remote control of volume, you would need to do this at the amp ... which brings us to the vexed question of the mysterious amplifier that you are planning to pair this DAC with!

I already assumed that the TV digital signal should be identical to any other TV, although sometimes I seem to forget this probable fact. Although I'm not sure it's true either.
What the #!$ are you on about?

I don't think that's how audiophilism works
You never provided enough sensible information and context for us to even know that audiphilism was even your intention.
So jean-paul is certainly correct that this thread has been directionless.

At this point I can think of a one or two good quality and good value commercial DAC's that have remote control of their line output,
but given the demonstrated record here of good information being ignored, it's pointless offering this information.

I need my own DAC that takes the veils off that's made the way I like it
Mmm, fancy talk, but it doesn't ring true. An audiophile setup for television listening - but most television audio is spoken dialogue - this is what you want to take the "veils" off?

Let's end this sad discourse. Unfortunately it's been a waste of other forum members' reading time.

Someone once wrote this:
"audiophilism isn't primarily about the music but about status, just like big cars and all the other things: there are virtually no female audiophiles. They don't feel the audiophile's urge to buy more and more irrationally expensive equipment. Why not? Because society demands other status symbols from woman. The man shows his "potence" by expensive technical equipment, the woman by expensive decoration. It's that simple, isn't it?"

I conclude the subject "Best way to go from... to ..." is actually a misnomer

Alright enough rant frm me ~~ back to enjoy listening to music from my "average audio" gear. :D

Can any one recommend a board or project that has the following?:

1) optical input
2) analog RCA output
3) volume control (I find tons of boards that look okay, some I don't know if they have volume control, some I don't know if I can solder attenuator into the board)
4) takes the veils off

I have a case I want to use, connectors and transformers and electrical components I can use.

Warning: when you see my finished DAC you will want to throw your DAC in thrash :eek:

Last edited:
Someone once wrote this:
"audiophilism isn't primarily about the music but about status, just like big cars and all the other things: there are virtually no female audiophiles.

You are talking utter bollox.
Did you know women hear MUCH MUCH better than men.
Their HF hearing tails off much later, and they generally speaking have much more acute hearing.

Sadly it's one of the big advantages women have, although I can still hear 15khz pretty easy, - most other people of my age can't hear above 8khz, - and that's PROVEN.
So much for audiophools, and all those "golden ears' who can hear things I can't.

Just do some blind testing one of these days, and you will stop repeating these tired mantras.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.