Dac build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I would like to replace my Arcam Blink with something more serious. I was thinking along the lines of diy Dac, as a vinyl fan I have no knowledge of Dacs and dont understand what components are required to acheive my goal. This is what I would like though. The ability to connect directly to my phone via Bluetooth and stream music players, ability to connect to cd player via optical and possibly coax.

I like the look of the dddac but its out of my budget. I then stumbled accross the Soekris Dam 1021. More within my budget.

What else would I need apart from a 1021 board. I fancy the idea of regulated power supply. I have looked at a build guide but I dont understand how dacs work or any of the jargon. The Blink has no digital output so I can't use it as a BT receiver and mydac would require its own receiver. Iam in the UK (240v).

Matt

Here’s what I would do;

Keep the arcam for a backup, and even a reference if you get lost in any modifications to other devices.

Then dig around on forums and eBay to try and find something that suits your needs, and maybe even buy two if they are reasonably priced. Then start carefully making changes, one at a time and listen lots and lots between changes. Keep reading up as curiosity spawns new possibilities, again, read lots before making any changes. Would also need a multi meter, some good clip on leads, a decent soldering setup too.

That will give you a bit of a background and maybe even a better reference for whatever comes next when you’re done.

Ok so if I want to build one I need a psu, and input device,

I have seen the silent switcher in the shop that I could use with a DC power source. (Battery or power brick)

What imput device would I need to cover bluetooth, optical, coax, & USB? Is there a good one for all solution? Would I need anything else.

Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.