miniDSP 2x8HD Initial Setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Senior citizen here, feelin’ really digitally stupid. Need some simple help setting up a miniDSP 2x8HD (w/DIGI-FP) to open baffle 3-way speakers. Want to connect a turntable (phono preamp) & a Music-PC .

My 3-Way DIY System:
- Welborne Moondog 2A3 monoblock amps to Lowther PM6As
- Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 amp to Tone Tubbys
- SS amp to 2 sub woofers

Question 1: The 8 “Analog Unbalanced RCA Outputs” on the back of the 2x8 unit that go to the power amps are not identified as to Right or Left channels. I took a wild stab setting it up, does this sound OK?:
- 2A3 monoblocks, 2x8 output 1 to R monoblock amp, output 2 to L monoblock amp
- 2A3 Stereomour, 2x8 output 3 to R amp, output 4 to L amp
- Sub amp, 2x8 output 5 to R amp, output 6 to L amp

Question 2: I am connecting a turntable w/phono preamp to the 2x8 Analog Input, but also want to connect a PC with music HD (using MediaMonkey) to the system. What is the best way to connect the PC to the miniDSP 2x8HD?
Should I go; DAC to preamp, then to the 2x8 analog input?
Or, can I use the DIGI-FP digital input and still go to the 3-way speaker system?

Question 3: On the plug-in software “Output” screen I labeled the “Analog Output” as output channels 1 thru 4 the left 3-way speaker; 1 = Lowther L
2 =Tone Tubby L
3 = Sub-Woofer L
4 = Unused
Channels 5 thru 8 are the same but for the R speaker - Is this correct?

My lack of understanding with miniDSP is a bit embarrassing. I have read the manual several times and still am unclear. Thanks in advance for you time & input.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi,

I should be able to talk you through this. The manual is not written in quite the way to help you out totally.

First thing you need to do is, as you note, decide which channel is which. You can assign anything to anything, so pick what works for you and rename the channels. You can then link left and right so you only need to edit one

second thing you need to do is practice saving configs so you don't lose whats on the minidsp when you reconnect each time!

As for digital in if you have digi-FP you can go in optical or toslink and keep it digital to the end. I would do that.

You are doing everything right so far, don't lose faith in yourself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.