Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Audiophile Ethernet Switch
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2020, 08:10 PM   #361
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
I dunno why I am feeding this dilution of the thread to nothing of any use (yet again) but enjoyment !=Sound quality. If you are only interesting in enjoyment then there is no common language and nothing to discuss with you.
So all I need to do for better SQ is listen to something I like?
Old 21st February 2020, 08:11 PM   #362
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Works for me
Old 21st February 2020, 08:57 PM   #363
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

+1
Old 21st February 2020, 10:25 PM   #364
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdb View Post
So all I need to do for better SQ is listen to something I like?
You missed the point. All you need to do for better enjoyment is to listen to something you like, with good friends, a beer, that sort of thing. Best enjoyment ever.

Jan
Old 22nd February 2020, 10:40 AM   #365
Jakob2 is offline Jakob2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdb View Post
When people imagine they hear things with no explanation, no logic, no evidence, and no basis in science, we should just go along with it and try it. Sorry lifes too short, and its a waste of money.
No, you don't have any obligation to try it or to spend money (if it is a waste, one can't know for sure).

But if you talk about the missing science/explanation/whatever, you should be aware of the fact that ruling out the existence of a real audible difference based on ethernet/OSI layer arguments is "no science" too.
Further it is a diyaudioforum, so I'd guess that you can't demand the same evidence from everyone.

Wintermute already mentioned it, measurements carry a subjective element too; it's about what to measure, which way to measure, about the uncertainty one is willing to accept as being sufficiently low, and not the least about the conclusions to draw from measured numbers wrt human perception.
Old 22nd February 2020, 11:36 AM   #366
jaddie is offline jaddie
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A subjective choice. Since my ear/brain perception of the output of my hifi is the interface thru which my hifi brings me enjoyment, i will pay attention to the measures, but i have to trust my ears, even as flawed as they may be.

dave
Even flawed hearing can be trustworthy once bias is controlled. All hearing, even all senses, are subject to bias that has been proven to completely skew the results of a comparative test. Two choices, identical in every way, can be presented with one choice being surrounded with some form of bias that suggests the choice is in some way different, usually better, and that choice will be favored. Welcome to wine tasting, where the participants are always told, in great detail and with conviction, what a wine will taste like before it is tasted.

This does not mean senses are flawed, it means they are easily influenced by expectation bias. That includes all forms of illogical expectation.

Remove the bias, what you have left is the senses true ability to discern a difference in stimulus.
Old 22nd February 2020, 01:58 PM   #367
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie View Post
Even flawed hearing can be trustworthy once bias is controlled. All hearing, even all senses, are subject to bias that has been proven to completely skew the results of a comparative test. Two choices, identical in every way, can be presented with one choice being surrounded with some form of bias that suggests the choice is in some way different, usually better, and that choice will be favored. Welcome to wine tasting, where the participants are always told, in great detail and with conviction, what a wine will taste like before it is tasted.

This does not mean senses are flawed, it means they are easily influenced by expectation bias. That includes all forms of illogical expectation.

Remove the bias, what you have left is the senses true ability to discern a difference in stimulus.
A sort of "subliminal message"of sorts...... eh?

To quote:
A subliminal message is a technique used in marketing and other media to influence people without their being aware of what the messenger is doing. This may involve the use of split second flashes of text, hidden images, or subtle cues that affect the audience at a level below conscious awareness.

So tomention my previous post, when I threw the switches to select the tube amp or the solid state one, the audible "snap" of the switches heard by my neighbor assumed I had switched the amps, even though the "dummy switch" didn't change anything......YET, he insisted that the amp was changed.

As I've always said.... it's all in your mind.
Old 22nd February 2020, 02:01 PM   #368
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseoldtech View Post
A sort of "subliminal message"of sorts...... eh?
I don't think there is anything subliminal about what he's saying, as an audio example, ask planet10 about the sound of a particular speaker he's heard and see what happens.
Old 22nd February 2020, 03:06 PM   #369
Jakob2 is offline Jakob2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
<snip>
Removing the bias is far easier to demand than to realize in practice. "Blinding" is just one of many countermeasure but unfortuately the one most often mentioned .
Old 22nd February 2020, 05:32 PM   #370
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Why i am eagerly awaiting the day that in a blind test we can bypass the hearing to verbalisation conversion step (full of potential holes) and directly measure what the brain is doing. We are getting close.

dave

Audiophile Ethernet SwitchHide this!Advertise here!