USB to I2S + upsampling, which components

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, i am trying to design a DAC + headphone amplifier combo. I want to connect the DAC to my PC using USB, but i am not sure what the best way of doing it is. I use a TDA1541A as DAC chip. I want to upsample to 352.8kHz or 384kHz.

Things i have considered:

Toslink -> CS8412 -> SAA7220 -> TDA1541A

This method is not using USB, and I am only able to upsample to 176.4kHz and 192kHz. I have all components for this, and might end up doing it if USB and higher upsampling is either too complicated or expensive.

USB -> Xmos MCU -> TDA1541A

This microcontroller is able to do it all, however, PC drivers might be a problem, as they require buying more than 150 units, for releasing a test driver. I am not sure that writing a driver is possible for me.

USB -> FPGA -> TDA1541A

I have considered using a FPGA. I am just not sure that getting the FPGA to work USB is trivial, and I have not found many resources on this subject.

USB -> MCU -> FPGA -> TDA1541A

I have considered using a MCU between the USB and FPGA, for receiving the audio signal, and then do the upsampling on the FPGA. I have considered using a Xilinx zynq for this, as it contains flash, fpga, and an ARM MCU.

I find it hard to see how hard each implementation will be to do, as USB audio is rarely described for the components.

Any thoughts on how this will be done the easiest? Maybe some other component ideas?

Can you develop a purely digital 24bit interface with USB connection?

Ex:
USB -> SPDIF
USB <- SPDIF

**The only projects have found in this regard are minidsp and another chinese, but both are very expensive.

This way, the conversion circuit can be kept separate and very diverse.

I use a TDA1541A as DAC chip. I want to upsample to 352.8kHz or 384kHz.

If you can interface I2S, LJ, or RJ PCM to whatever format needed by your dac chip, there are good AK4137 based solutions on ebay and aliexpress. However, some people think they have TDA1541A when they actually have TDA1541 without the A. IIRC, they may require a little bit different interfacing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.