How to read my own files with Chromecast ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently received a little Google Chromecast.
I wanted to use-it to play my files, that are in my main computer, in my listening room that is an other room, using my smartphone (Android) as a remote.
At my highest surprise, i have not found a simple way to do-it without paying a monthly fee to google. To play my own records ?

I'm not able to see my shared folder in my computer on my Android phone, found no app that can remote my Kef LS50 wireless able to do it neither. The only way I had found is to start a play from VLC from my main computer, then run in my listening room. Not exactly a dream.

Could somebody help-me to find a good and simple solution?

I gave-up watching how-to videos made by 12 years old children that start explaining how to start my computer.

Last edited:
Hi Tournesol,
Have you discovered the Chromecast Audio (CCA) with "Google Home" App? That should be your first step.
I would have to check about streaming your local files, but after the CCA has been discovered you should at least be able to cast to it from streaming services like spotify.
Good luck,
Laurens

Hi Tournesol,
Have you discovered the Chromecast Audio (CCA) with "Google Home" App? That should be your first step.
I would have to check about streaming your local files, but after the CCA has been discovered you should at least be able to cast to it from streaming services like spotify.
Good luck,
Laurens
Thanks for your attention, Big Cheese.
Of course, I've installed Local Cast and Play music from Google and some other junk apps.
I don't want to use any paying streaming service.
As I explained, I just want to play my own files. To can access to my folders et play the tunes that are inside the same way I can play a CD.
I cannot imagine there is no solution, as it is the basis. I discovered Google offer this solution... only to registered customers under a monthly fee ?
It looks like a scam, right?

Last edited:
Can you download Chrome OS? I have a chromebook and there are simple apps available to do what you want
Thanks a lot for your answer , scottjoplin.
For the moment, I'm in a position that is quasi political: A simple consumer that had *bought* a CD player and discover the manufacturer kinda want him to put coins to open the drawer.
My computer is under Windows (7) and my Android phone (Huawei) not even rooted.
Well, I can change the memory card of my smartphone to an ULTRA BIG one, in order to copy all my FLACK files on it: not exciting.
I would prefer to call my lawyer and ask-him to intent a prosecution against Google ;-)

Hello Tournesol,

I have no experience with Chromecast, but the following might help:

I have a NAS where I store my music (and photos, etc.). On my Android phone I installed the app named MediaHouse. It can discover the shared folders on the local network, and play on the selected player. In my case the only player is the Android phone, but perhaps you can select a remote player, i. e. Chromecast.
Another app that worked for me is AllConnect.

Hi Tournesol,
OK, understood that casting in itself is working; the problem is accessing you locally stored files and controlling the playback.

Personally, I play all my music through Logitech Media Server (local files and Qobuz Streaming). It seems that you can make LMS think that a CCA is a squeezelite renderer. I have not looked into that so far.

On the other hand, since you mentioned VLC, I just found that VLC can cast local files to CCA: just google “VLC Chromecast” and you should find instructions.

Then it is just a matter of controlling your computer from your phone. You could do that with (free) software like VNC-Viewer, though I wonder how well it work on a small screen.

Maybe you can find an app that suits your need here Control VLC from an Android Phone - VideoLAN Wiki (I did not look into this at all, just the first thing google cam up with).

I think there are plenty of ways to skin this cat, look around and pick your favorite.

Good luck.
Laurens

Another app that worked for me is AllConnect.
NOTHING is working. On this App, I can see the Chromecast, but I found noway to connect to my shared folders. The only links are "Music" (local ?), "Servers", "Browser".
So I had installed PLEX on my windows and set the folders to cast. My smartphone see PLEX, but the list of my files and folders stay ... empty in AllConnect.
All this are pieces of sh... nothing working, pub everywhere, incomprehensible ugly GUIs. What a time !
PS: I can see and play (only in my smartphone) my shared folders with X-plore (Es-explorer), so no local configuration error on my side. T add insult to injury, neither the Huawei native explorer, neither Astro are able to see my shared folders. Android is worse than Windows.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that you have to turn on Media Streaming on the Network and Sharing Center, How to Turn Your Computer Into a DLNA Media Server
Of course. And, as I said, it is now working.
I tried a lot of crappy apps, that are supposed to work with both DNLA and ChromeCast Audio. Only two remains in my smartphone: Hi-fi Cast & AllConnect.

But I think it is a pity to be obliged to add a running server, eating ressources in my main computer. Because Google Play Musique is able to directly play files on the smartphone, there is NO technical reason why Google do not allow his customers to play them from the shared folders of the network.

No need for a server, Plex or whatever. Just Windows 10, and allowing it to share Media. On the Smartphone, only Hi-Fi Cast, and Google Home, of course, to set it up. Log in with the Windows credentials. Works like a charm. For casual listening, plenty enough. Will buy some more Chromecast Audio, before Google will take them from the Market. They have a reasonably good optical out up to 96/24 btw, for a dedicated DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.