Marantz CD73 Philips CD303 improving CD-R playback

Hi TV7,
I found this thread while trying to improve the CDR compatibility of a CD-74. It plays some really old (late 90-ies) gold/blue-green 650MB CDRs without problems. But it fails with many newer ones. Could you elaborate more on post #5, please? I also seem not to be able to look at the last three images in your post #1 which refer to the related Philips board, anymore. It would be great to have this information.
Thanks!
CH

I tried to reconstruct what was written about how to improve CDR playback, see attached picture. I marked the 220nF cap in red and the 2 caps with the outer foil in blue. I took them out and measured them with a scope: there was no difference in RF inductance regardless which way they were connected (normally I see a big difference for example with polystrenes). The 220nF also did not bring a noticeable improvement, and playing with the PLL pot did not change things as well - the service manual says it's not necessary to adjust the frequency at all, or am I missing something? My CD303 plays some CDRs perfectly fine, some skip, and some wont play at all, I guess that's normal...?

Attachments

• improve CDR playback diagram.jpg
    improve CDR playback diagram.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 102