TEAC P2 & Neutron Star 2 (upgrade)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FI:
After many years (since 1990) of excellent fidelity services of my CD-drive TEAC P2 , a lens-laser cleaning and oiling the lens-support-sledge brings it back to a regular running read routine (without sledge shaking/dancing/springs faults & other crazy thinks) …

Time to upgrade the TEAC P2 with an other up-to-date clock and minimise the possible Jitter-clock.

Not that easy to build “in" a P2 … after some test-simulations with (paper) models, I decided to click-in a "Neutron Star 2 Audio Reference Clock" with PSU module. Info here & here ....
Just enough place and volume inside the P2 chassis ( a full shoebox).
It was “plug & play” …. (In a joke)

Musical impressions where more than satisfied (my personal opinion);
Musical reproduction completely different & more detailed, more in the high & low regions, more subtile musical micro-details, harmonics better represented (confirmed by musicians), more aired musical space ….

CéDé plays with a “wow” factor… & with minimalistic Jitter ( & better than the factory clock concept ‘90)

This upgrade, It was worth to do it … in a musical way.

It’s music … I like it ...

Regards.

Karel

Btw: this is not a product placement.

Attachments

• DSC_6296.jpg
    DSC_6296.jpg
    795.5 KB · Views: 345
  • DSC_6294.jpg
    DSC_6294.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC_6282.jpg
    DSC_6282.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC_6297.jpg
    DSC_6297.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 317
Measurements as adding clocks especially on the end of long wires needs to be assessed properly to determine whether it was worth it, and the only way really is eye diagrams and similar measurements... especially jitter; jitter may be worse and thus adding more noise and creating a fuller sound!

FI:
After many years (since 1990) of excellent fidelity services of my CD-drive TEAC P2 , a lens-laser cleaning and oiling the lens-support-sledge brings it back to a regular running read routine (without sledge shaking/dancing/springs faults & other crazy thinks) …

Time to upgrade the TEAC P2 with an other up-to-date clock and minimise the possible Jitter-clock.

Not that easy to build “in" a P2 … after some test-simulations with (paper) models, I decided to click-in a "Neutron Star 2 Audio Reference Clock" with PSU module. Info here & here ....
Just enough place and volume inside the P2 chassis ( a full shoebox).
It was “plug & play” …. (In a joke)

Musical impressions where more than satisfied (my personal opinion);
Musical reproduction completely different & more detailed, more in the high & low regions, more subtile musical micro-details, harmonics better represented (confirmed by musicians), more aired musical space ….

CéDé plays with a “wow” factor… & with minimalistic Jitter ( & better than the factory clock concept ‘90)

This upgrade, It was worth to do it … in a musical way.

It’s music … I like it ...

Regards.

Karel

Btw: this is not a product placement.

Hello,
In my years on diyaudio I have very very few comments about the newclassD products, especially the bit read clocks.
You were very fortunate to get one of the first 100 and get the power supply included for free. In my experience with changing stock clocks for aftermarket units, I have found that a separate low noise power supply gives the most satisfying results.
Your comments on the sound after clock installation are much the same as I have experienced in doing this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.