Has anyone actually measured Elso's Asynchronous Reclocker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have seen posts arguing for and against Elso's Asynchronous Reclocker (or any other Asynchronous Reclockers), but I could not find any real measurement on its effect. For e.g. how it affect the jitter value, spectrum etc.

Personally, I have tried the Asynchronous Reclocker and found it to be a small improvement for my TDA1541A, but I don't have the means to measure it :(

Can some kind soul enlighten me on this?:xeye:

Pop11,

Since you ask about the effects and since I have not measured the same DAC (TDA1541A) without the reclocker, this graph answers the question only partially, but it clearly shows that the asynchronous reclocking which uses the frequency which is not the multiple of Fs does not result in the low jitter, it certainly raises it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For those not aware of, the thread with some info and some opinions about this issue is here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=326390#post326390

Pedja

some more measurements

hi pop11,

I did some basic measurement of four different TDA1543 based DACs. Two of them have no reclocking, one has Elso's reclocking and the last one has the reclocking circuit according to Doede's DDDAC1543.
The reclocked DACs sound better than the non-reclocked (IMHO) and both reclocker as well decrease the sonic influence of the transport.
But the reclocked DACs measure worse. Elso's reclocker adds alot of jitter, Doedes reclocker will drop or repeat a sample from time to time. Click on "measurements" on http://www.geocities.com/tdac1543/ to see some screenshots of my measuremts.

Fabian

I'm shocked!!!!!

Elso's reclocker has a jitter level of "10500ps" !!
:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

but Elso's reclocker did improve the sound ... beats me ...

I wonder what will happen if we modify Elso's reclocker and bring the jitter back down to a lower value, it may be a killer!

Any idea how to reduce jitter in Elso's reclocker?

Re: some more measurements

Fabian said:
hi pop11,

I did some basic measurement of four different TDA1543 based DACs. Two of them have no reclocking, one has Elso's reclocking and the last one has the reclocking circuit according to Doede's DDDAC1543.
The reclocked DACs sound better than the non-reclocked (IMHO) and both reclocker as well decrease the sonic influence of the transport.
But the reclocked DACs measure worse. Elso's reclocker adds alot of jitter, Doedes reclocker will drop or repeat a sample from time to time. Click on "measurements" on http://www.geocities.com/tdac1543/ to see some screenshots of my measuremts.

Fabian

Hi

Impressive setups and thanks for sharing measurements

While the jitter is indirectly measured, the outcome still is valid for indicative use.

In my research last years it has been often shown that certain types of oscillators sound very fine, but measure worse. In contrast, oscillators with very low jitter can be very revealing.

Similarly, some people prefer certain types of of (tube) amplifiers

In the end, it just depends on what you are looking for, soundwise, that is.

best regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.