Datasheet for Global Xin GSL88303L Rega servo chip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Hope I can get some help here. Does anyone one have a data sheet for the Global Xin GSL88303L servo chip.

It is used inside my Rega Apollo R cd player. The problem is I was using a clock ( net audio ) that has a 1 megohm feedback resistor across the output. As you can see from the photo I have removed the feedback resistor on the Rega board( r213).

I am now using a Newclassd clock which does not have a feed back resistor on the output and although the cd player is working it drops out more than it used to

So does anyone know the value of r123...Rega were no help.

Cheers

Chilli

Attachments

• 20161007_204446.jpg
    20161007_204446.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20160919_104223.jpg
    IMG_20160919_104223.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 42
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Contrary to the advice: I have seen a few CD players that behaved erratically without that resistor !

BTW that soldering joints look quite bad. Please redo with good old 60/40 leaded solder and clean the PCB afterwards with isopropyl alcohol. Maybe it is just a bad connection. Also make it a habit to cut first and then solder the wires. Just adapt and enjoy more reliable electronics with better looking joints as a bonus without any negative side effect ! The way you have done it puts mechanical stress on the joints which leads to premature failure/non successful DIYing.

Last edited:
Contrary to the advice: I have seen a few CD players that behaved erratically without that resistor !

BTW that soldering joints look quite bad. Please redo and clean the PCB. Maybe it is just a bad connection. Also make it a habit to cut first and then solder the wires. The way you have done it puts mechanical stress on the joints which leads to failure.

Thanks , yes I think that you may be correct

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Modded a lot of CD players and some skip when leaving out the resistor. Value is between 220 kOhm and 1 MOhm I noticed but I don't know the right value in the Rega. This is a one chance only affair (PCB tracks may come loose) so I think it is wise to wait for another owner of the same CD player to check the value.

Next time write down what you remove ;) Maybe it is a good tip to change the thread title to: "Rega Apollo R owners please help me!" :D Many won't even know what a GSL88303L is or that it is in their CD player.

Or send a PM to this guy and possibly order the IC as it seems to break down quite often: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/189547-fs-gsl88303-central-smd-ic-rega-saturn-apollo.html Just 10 Euro seems a sound investment to keep the Apollo spinning.

Last edited:
Modded a lot of CD players and some skip when leaving out the resistor. Value is between 220 kOhm and 1 MOhm I noticed but I don't know the right value in the Rega. This is a one chance only affair (PCB tracks may come loose) so I think it is wise to wait for another owner of the same CD player to check the value.

Next time write down what you remove ;) Maybe it is a good tip to change the thread title to: "Rega Apollo R owners please help me!" :D Many won't even know what a GSL88303L is or that it is in their CD player.

Or send a PM to this guy and possibly order the IC as it seems to break down quite often: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/189547-fs-gsl88303-central-smd-ic-rega-saturn-apollo.html Just 10 Euro seems a sound investment to keep the Apollo spinning.

Great advice and thanks again jean-paul :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
If it is a one chance only affair I would not gamble but send a PM to that guy and ask him if he can tell the value. Apparently he has replaced those chips more than once. Low effort big gain. No place for gambling in electronics. Why would you solder in a possible wrong value only to discover you have to take it out again and pulling off the PCB tracks in the same process ? At the cost of one resistor you could destroy the device. The technical (and right) approach would be to first find out the original value in whatever way. Just one email.....

Second tip would be to obtain such a chip as they are hard to find and apparently break down. The Rega equivalent of "keeping a spare laser" ;) There have been very nice CD transports in the past but nowadays their lasers are impossible to find. With that knowledge it sometimes can be clever to buy that specific hard to get/find part to be able to service your equipment.

Or switch to CD less audio ! :D Way more user friendly.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.