Wondering how long the quality cd player can last?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I noticed that lots of people are still using lots of cd players made in 1980s. Its said the lasers or pickups only have several year lifespan, seems this result is not right.

Want to buy a good vintage cd player for a long time, but hesitate. The vintage laser always is much more expensive than a player online.

Somebody here is using vintage cd players, what do you think about the lifespan? Thanks.

I have a Sony CD player that was given to me second hand in the mid 90's and it is still playing perfectly. In fact it sits in my workshop which is always dusty. It boots up very quickly, which I really like.

Is there a lifespan for pocket calculators I wonder?.......I have a Casio scientific calculator that I bought in the mid 1980's and it's still working perfectly. I replaced the original Casio batteries just two years ago. I never thought the batteries would last that long.

If the laser optics are made of glass instead of plastic they can last for decades. The electrolytic capacitors on the PCB are another topic; you can hear it when they are aging (become dry). I have got a Denon DCD-3560 and a Philips CD 960 with little tweaks. The 3560 is inferior to the 960, the latter with MCap Supreme coupling caps, the former all original on PCB. Spend some coins on modern parts and the sonic improvement makes you drop your jaws! These old machines are nice platforms to try upgrades on key parts on the PCB.

To answer your question: CDP's are aging, but you can keep them in best condition if you lubricate the loading mechanism, change rubber belts and pay for a round of audiophile parts. Then you can enjoy them a liftime ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
It is all about making money!!. 99% of the companies dont strive for quality and/or durability. Why a Revox reel to reel with loads of moving parts can work for decades and a ''serious ''cd player like a Rega will stop playing after a few years?
These brands should make a pro version that will come with a 10 year warranty but no they want you to buy the latest model every few years.
That is the way it is.
Greetings, Eduard

I think unfortunately for the romantic music lovers, cdp will probably go out of fashion like the old tape players. Before I thought that cdp may have certain inherent superior sound quality vs. a digital music server (running via a usb cable), but now that I have sometimes to think about it, I actually think a data storage music server can potentially offer superior sound due to its better design architecture. Maybe I can start a "cdp vs. usb" thread soon in which people can debate on the subject.
But I think for the high end stuffs, there will still be a market for it because there are a lot of rich people who have money to spend on stuffs no matter what they are.

I have the first Sony CD player the CDP101 from 1983 and it still plays well.
As does my Sony CX555ES which is a 300 disc changer

The combination of a good CDP a Yamaha CDRHD1500 and a Type 1 DBX 150x
is what I use. A 500 gb IDE hard drive gives 780 hours of recording,

Cheers / Chris

I think unfortunately for the romantic music lovers, cdp will probably go out of fashion like the old tape players. Before I thought that cdp may have certain inherent superior sound quality vs. a digital music server (running via a usb cable), but now that I have sometimes to think about it, I actually think a data storage music server can potentially offer superior sound due to its better design architecture. Maybe I can start a "cdp vs. usb" thread soon in which people can debate on the subject.
But I think for the high end stuffs, there will still be a market for it because there are a lot of rich people who have money to spend on stuffs no matter what they are.

I am using denon 1611ud bluray player with usb port, this model is not high end, it's barely ok. Don't play wav or flac files with the usb port of the av receiver. I am using marantz receiver that I don't like the sound from it, probably I will replace it with other brands.

Not sure if it is subjective or not, I still think cd player makes the sound like music. I am using nad cd player and a turntable, not bad.

Can you reccommend a usb playback player or something like that ? I'd like to add to my list.

Thanks.

I am using denon 1611ud bluray player with usb port, this model is not high end, it's barely ok. Don't play wav or flac files with the usb port of the av receiver. I am using marantz receiver that I don't like the sound from it, probably I will replace it with other brands.

Not sure if it is subjective or not, I still think cd player makes the sound like music. I am using nad cd player and a turntable, not bad.

Can you reccommend a usb playback player or something like that ? I'd like to add to my list.

Thanks.

Well I think it's all come down to implementation whether it's cdp or a digital music server, but everything being equal, I actually think a well design music server has a potential to have a better sound. I am thinking of starting a thread in which people can talk about the architecture and why one is better than the other. Personally, I think a music server is actually is a better architecture given it is a good design.

A lot of mass market receivers, with all due respect, don't have the best sound. They got the input stage, power stage, preamp, DAC all mixed up together and I suspect they got noise all over the place. Also most of them don't have very good DAC and their power amp is not very good either.

But anyway, if you can afford which something tells me you would, NAIM, Cyrus, and some of the UK audio makers make very good music servers.

Well I think it's all come down to implementation whether it's cdp or a digital music server, but everything being equal, I actually think a well design music server has a potential to have a better sound. I am thinking of starting a thread in which people can talk about the architecture and why one is better than the other. Personally, I think a music server is actually is a better architecture given it is a good design.

A lot of mass market receivers, with all due respect, don't have the best sound. They got the input stage, power stage, preamp, DAC all mixed up together and I suspect they got noise all over the place. Also most of them don't have very good DAC and their power amp is not very good either.

But anyway, if you can afford which something tells me you would, NAIM, Cyrus, and some of the UK audio makers make very good music servers.

Thanks, I will study this. Today I got a sony 707esd player, nice one, works like any of new cd players. Believe I will like it very much, not test the sound quality yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.