Burson audio gen IV vs SonicImageryLabs 994Enh-Ticha DUAL Discrete OpAmp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first time experience with discreet opamp and my first Burson product.
I opened the cylinder can and I said to my self wow it’s quite tiny opamp. I put the opamp in my MSB link III DAC because it has the socket...but for final I’ll put it in my heavily modified Musical Fidelity A324 which has not have the socket so the opamp directly soldered on the board, but for now I review the opamp on MSB....too lazy to pick my solder and change the opamp in my MF A324.

I warned you if you hope this Burson can change your cheap DAC into super high end DAC sound...it will not!!! You can’t hope to change that much sound from your lesser DAC..it just make it better sound.
I have used several chip opamp such as NE5322, LT1024, LM4562HA (can type), and OPA4627BRZ, so far I satisfied with the LM4652HA sound.
So I put the Burson SS 4th generation and wish for better sound.
The first thing I noticed was this opamp has bit laid back sound and more relaxed and smoother sound than OPA4627BRZ on MSB linkIII. The detail is there... the mid is neutral... and what I makes me happy was this MSB linkIII NEVER impressed me from the first time I bought it, I have tried to sell it but nobody want it and this DAC cannot compete the MF A324, maybe because the MF is heavily modified and MSB in standard condition. And I can’t stand for long time heard the MSB because of this. But after I put Burson opamp..something changed, still the MSB can’t compete the MF in term of dynamic and openess but I start to love the sound..more laid back and relaxed as I mentioned above and the sound is more presence in the room. The imaging is better and the soundstage is more layered..better than my MF with LM4652HA opamp.
I hope this Burson opamp can change the MF DAC for better sound.
As you can see on the picture..the MSB is quite thin, so I have to put off the top/face plate of the DAC when I'm using the Burson.

here's some of the picture:

IMG_4088_zps52a5adab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_4090_zpsb62d176e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
[URL=http://s831.photobucket.com/user/eherdian/media/IMG_4091_zps998c227c.jpg.html] [/URL]
IMG_4094_zps3818ba16.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

An Update in my MF A324

Finaly I put Burson SS opamp in my heavily modified Musical Fidelity A324 DAC last saturday. I use 8pin goldplated socket for my covenient.
The Burson replace LM4562HA (canned type) opamp which was directly soldered on the board.
After warming up, I start several familiar song and music via Teac VRDS7 as transport and Illumination D60 SPDI/F cable. I admit I didn't have much time for sufficient burn in on my MSB DAC so I prepared for the worst after the change.
First I noticed the Burson bit slower and bit less tight bass compared to 4562HA but I got better harmonic and better cymbals sound and more micro detail. I heard it when I listened to cello, contrabass, guitar, and chinese erhu. There's more "there" sound and more pinpoint imaging that made me believe that the player is there on front of me.
After several hours per day until today..I feel the speed and the bass of the burson getting better..the staging also deeper than before.
comparing the noise floor...I think the 4562HA can compete the burson and also not bad either. The difference between two is quite small margin compare to price of 4562HA.
If you have tight budget on opamp, I recomend of LM4562HA but if you have more bucks in your pocket, go hurry up grab the burson, it really worth to listen to, also it's fun to hear more detail and never been heard before details that grab your attention while listening your favorite CDs.
I'm planning to permanently soldered the burson on the DAC board, let see if I can have little bit more sound from this remarkable opamp.

nb: sorry there's no picture...I'm too lazy to pick my camera and take the picture :)

Last edited:
Let them burn in 200 hours Before judging then, they change quite a bit.
I have a pair of Dexa and a pair of Burson and they both sounded bad when they where new.

Which components exactly, are changing and how? The resistors? Not a chance. The transistors or diodes? Highly unlikely. The capacitors? No electrolytics so very unlikely. Your brain/ears? Yes I think we've found it. The burn in of these kinds of components is fantasy, there is no physical evidence. Show us a double blind listening test or keep your delusions to yourself. All they do is further muddy the murky waters of audiophiledom.

@Eherdian

What are the kind of "wood phase plugs" you put everywhere? A tweak???

I was made the phase plugs for my fostex actually, it made from several wood species I found in my garage and milled it on local workshop.
for the plug I put on top of my loudspeaker box, sure it makes difference in stagging..you have to experiment yourself where to put it on top of the box. Others...I'm not sure :)
But for the plug I put in the middle of fostex driver, the hardest and heaviest wood makes better improvement.

Which components exactly, are changing and how? The resistors? Not a chance. The transistors or diodes? Highly unlikely. The capacitors? No electrolytics so very unlikely. Your brain/ears? Yes I think we've found it. The burn in of these kinds of components is fantasy, there is no physical evidence. Show us a double blind listening test or keep your delusions to yourself. All they do is further muddy the murky waters of audiophiledom.

Well they do, not my fault if you cant here it.

further report after more than 10 days inside MF A324..

it's been more than 80 hours play time inside the dac.. I noticed the sound of burson opamp become tigher and reveal much detail and harmonics that I never heard before. percussion sound in patricia barbers live album "black magic woman" becomes more live feels, the attack of conga, cymbals, were more close to the real stage performance. the double bass sounds more vibrate and deeper too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.