SACD Player Overview, which provides real SACD sonic Character

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only SACD Player I know, which is able to demonstate the benefits of the higher resolution formats is SONY's SCD-1 - go to
Sony SCD-1 Super Audio CD/CD player | Stereophile.com
Most other available models aren't able to show the better sonic results, mainly because DVD-based decoder boards are in general not able to provide good sound.

Therefore the question:
Which models from the last years satisfy the following conditions:

- enhanced sonic quality in opposite to the PCM streams from usual compact disc
- Long live and good available optical pick up as replacement part (great issue in case of the SCD-1
- high quality disc-motor and mechanism inside

Not important is the integrated D/A converter, because this part exist already as independend device for external digital sources (based on AD1955 demo board).

Thank you very much for advices.

Last edited:
If only one player sounds like "real SACD" to you, how can you know that it is how it is supposed to sound as opposed to that player having a specific sound that you happen to like?

I dont understand, what is your question. SACD sound I know exactly because I have make some comparsions with other sources like record player and web-downloads from HD-Tracks and high Resolution Audio. Sound checks are performed with appropriate equipment.
Most SACD Player are multistandart player for CD, MP-3 SACD and DVD, sometimes also blu ray (BD) disc player. All models I know (except SCD1)sounds bad by select SACD mode. Sound is so worse for me, that clean CD player with only PCM standart sounds better.
Maybe there are some models, that I don't know (and later produced than the SCD-1) with best possible sound in the SACD mode. Therefore the question

I dont understand, what is your question. SACD sound I know exactly because I have make some comparsions with other sources like record player and web-downloads from HD-Tracks and high Resolution Audio. Sound checks are performed with appropriate equipment.

So what you are saying is that properly handled SACD sounds as good as your vinyl chain (despite the fact that the recordings are equalized differently for vinyl) and downloads from HDtracks (that are all PCM, but some have started out as DSD material from/for SACD)?

Most SACD Player are multistandart player for CD, MP-3 SACD and DVD, sometimes also blu ray (BD) disc player. All models I know (except SCD1)sounds bad by select SACD mode. Sound is so worse for me, that clean CD player with only PCM standart sounds better.
But if the player only reads the data from the SACD, and outputs it in digital form to your DAC, what would change the sound? Or are you saying that most SACD players do some content-changing processing to the digital signal so that it isn't a bit perfect copy of the data on the disc?

I'd give my Pearl Lite a vote. Been very pleased with it and stephensank has given the thumbs up to the mechanism/pickup used. Build quality is outstanding. It weighs more than many a 100 watt amp.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/196316-anyone-recognise-pickup-mech.html

Good advice - thank you very much. I will try to get this model for a listening test.
Marantz Reference SA-KI-Pearl SACD/CD player | Stereophile.com
Marantz SA KI-Pearl LITE silbergold (KI Pearl, KIPearl, EAN: 4951035042595) SACD-Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.