Audio Research CD2 - bad laser?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My CD-2 has taken to skipping badly and/or not recognizing disks at all.
Cleaned the lens to no avail and e mailed/called Audio Research.

They said: Bad news. Since Phillips does not make this (CDM12.4) laser any longer we cannot service your machine.........

So - here I am with a new laser ordered from E-bay on the way and nothing but a rudimentary knowledge of mostly simple mechanics and internal combustion engines. Has anyone performed this surgery? Some of the clearances look mighty tight. Any suggestions or feedback will be appreciated.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
There might be more bad news... many of the CDM12.4's offered for sale vary enormously in quality..... the original Philips part has been out of production for years.
Post #4 here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ntz-cd6000ose-ki-not-reading.html#post3060200

describes working on the CDM12.4

I would say that whatever you do, don't destroy the original. If the actual laser is OK then many other problems can be fixed.

My CD-2 has taken to skipping badly and/or not recognizing disks at all.
Cleaned the lens to no avail and e mailed/called Audio Research.

They said: Bad news. Since Phillips does not make this (CDM12.4) laser any longer we cannot service your machine.........

So - here I am with a new laser ordered from E-bay on the way and nothing but a rudimentary knowledge of mostly simple mechanics and internal combustion engines. Has anyone performed this surgery? Some of the clearances look mighty tight. Any suggestions or feedback will be appreciated.

AR should at least come your way to check the player. That is bad customer service on their behalf to assume the mechanism needs replacement and tell customers :"Bad luck, they don't make them any more". Even if the mechanisms are not available, I'd expect that AR being reputable brand, will have a stock to keep their customer base happy. They should at least diagnose the fault - it'll take them 10min.

Have you tried increasing the laser output a bit? 90% of skipping / reading / not spinning issues are related to drop in laser light level.

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.