Pearl in the mud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, fellow audioholics, here is a little info I want to share with you. For many (too many) years I am pursuing audio heaven, mostly with good succes rate..., except in CD players. Regardless of brand name, price, DAC employed, mods, tweaks, tubing etc, I always found that there is some kind of -how to put it- unmusical quality in their sound, that on long term listening always detaches me from really enjoying music. Not like a good analog source with a decent MC pickup for example. I've went through on literally hundreds of machines, from Aiwa to Yamaha, including some real big names, did the usual (and not-so-usual ) tweaks and mods (PS recapping, bypassing, fast diodes, improved output stage, external clock modules, enclosure damping, just to name a few) to improve their sound, but the end result was always the same- disappointment. Until two weeks ago, when the MIRACLE happened! Browsing in the local flea market I've picked up a GRUNDIG (!!!!! awwwwkkkk) player from 1992 with an age-old 16 bit Sanyo DAC (that I found practically no one else ever used in their machines) for a decent 5 Euro price, in perfect working condition. Initial listening gave me some goosebumps, the sound was a little anemic, but incredibly smooth and listenable. Jumping into it, I did the standard modding procedure (see above) and a few days later..... Well, this is it. Anemy is gone, smoothness preserved, detail, depth (!!!!) in abundance. It is Fast (you should really hear it, it is unbeliveable) dynamic, yet genetle, and above all listenable for long hours without any kind of noticeable weakness or "ear-wearing" effect. Compared to my second best machine (heavily tweaked Marantz CD 6000 OSE), its sound is light years better. No kidding, so good it is. So if anyone of you is interested, try to find one (it sells for about 10-15 Euros on E-bay, or in your local flea market), and I can give you the details of my mod on it, to make your real High-End player from 30 Euros.......

Attachments

• CD 635.jpg
    CD 635.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.