KSS-190A (Sony 557ESD/707ESD)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

I bought a Sony 557ESD (707ESD) with the optical unit broken (I'll receive the player the following days). Not only that the laser is dead, the one who sold it to me also tried to fix it by turning the laser's power potentiometer.

I was thinking of fixing the current laser by changing only the diode... I found some Sharp LT022MC laser diode for sell...
Regarding the lasers' settings I read that it can be calibrated using a special CD and an oscilloscope. Can anyone give me some advice?

Did anyone around here manage to complete this laser diode switch operation successfully?

And for a simple fix, is there by any chance someone on this forum that has a optical unit for sale?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Hello all!

I bought a Sony 557ESD (707ESD) with the optical unit broken (I'll receive the player the following days). Not only that the laser is dead, the one who sold it to me also tried to fix it by turning the laser's power potentiometer.

I was thinking of fixing the current laser by changing only the diode... I found some Sharp LT022MC laser diode for sell...
Regarding the lasers' settings I read that it can be calibrated using a special CD and an oscilloscope. Can anyone give me some advice?

Did anyone around here manage to complete this laser diode switch operation successfully?

And for a simple fix, is there by any chance someone on this forum that has a optical unit for sale?

Thank you very much!
check out this offers at ebay:
analogandever | eBay
e. g.
Original Sony Ultra RARE KSS 190 A Laser Head Sony Accuphase Our Last 5 Pieces | eBay

if the URLs don't goes open, check out at www.ebay.com the member name
" analogandever "
and check his NOS offers.

Last edited:
Hello. The thread is a bit old, but I respond.
I've replaced the diode LT022MC on an BU-1C in a Sony CDP-502ES. I suppose that KSS-190A is similar to BU-1C, but I don't know.
Very Important: Internet is flooded of fake or defective LT022MC, but you can recognise them: The edge is golden. The originals has it edge colour silver.
My languaje is not english, it cost me a lot to express properly, and is a bit dificult to explain how I changed the diode in my CDP-502ES, but this link show how I did it, besides, it had the same problem with the fake LT022MC. Regards

A l’atelier... (page 72) - vintage-audio-laser.com

Hello. I tell more.
I've changed lasers with success in CPD-502ES, KSS-121A in a old Denon, and in Saba CDP380.
The Sony BU-1C and similar are the most easy to change the diode, but is not easy at all.
First, extract the diode, then put another diode LT022MC or similar of 9mm size. Then, you have to adjust the three screws to find the best RF signal. For to do this, you have to wire the pcb to the laser with wires. You have to separate the pcb from the laser for to can access the three screws. Then, patient and ajust. Oscilloscope is needed. When you find the best signal, put a bit of glue in the screws for to assure it. Then, remove the wires, and that's all.
About the LT022MC, and the fake LT022MC, a good idea could be to put another diode of 5,6mm and a adaptor to 9mm.
Unfortunatelly I don't find these adaptors, but I've seen that the socket that the chinese KSS-240A and similars for the diode laser, is in fact a adaptor of 5,6mm to 9mm. Remove this piece of a cheap KSS-240A could be a solution, but I haven't done yet.

I'm working in a way of to replace and adjust the laser diodes in a benchwork, with instrumental, not depending of the cd player.
The key of it is in the Pioneer P-D70 manual service, where you can see how a laser pickup is adjusted. For to adjust a cd pickup, you have to make it run, with a mirror, with a power supply of only 1V you have to move the lens, and with an oscilloscope you see the diode A B C D E F and it's signals. The signal is DC, the reflect of the light. And etc...

I'll notice you if is something valuable to say in this forum.

And I could repair, but I live in Canary islands, to send a device is expensive.

I don't need to do money with repairs, I prefer to share my knowledge for to everybody can do it.

If is any new, I'll publish here.

I bought this and this looks fine. The only problem is that some of the diodes came with the window broken, I don't know if that was due for a bad packaged. Request the seller look the diodes window and don't send any diode broken. Neverthless, the window broken don't mind for the good functioning of the cd, because I prove it with one broken and it run ok. Look this diodes and you'll see that are different than other LT022mc from China.

Diodo Laser LT022MC, Original Sharp, 5.pcs | eBay

Hello Manolo Mos,
thank you very, very much fo your effort!
I assume that the grating (red de difracción) in the BU-1
should never, ever, by any circumstances be touched at all?
It is the part beneath the laser diode,
in between is a spring (muelle) and one or even two washers (arandelas).
I did move the grating a bit, from this Point, the BU-1 became useless.
Did you only have to turn the three screws? Or did you also move the diode
horizontally?
In would not be so sure about the golden rim, the originals also have it.
I did draw an adaptor from 5.6mm to 9mm in CAD but did not have the
chance to mill it yet…
I ordered about 40 diodes from an eBay seller more than two years ago.
Many also had broken Windows, 8 were emitting o.k, the rest was crap.

Last edited:
Hello Manolo Mos,
should not be touched at all? It is the part beneath the laser diode,
horizontally?
chance to mill it yet...

I only touch or adjust the strictly necessary. I assume that the granting or any other piece of the pickup is adjusted in factory, so I change the diode and adapt it to the pickup. Is replace the defective element for another new, and adapt it, nothing else. And it works. The RF looks very clean y my CDP-502ES. If it works, don't touch it.

This is my 502. YouTube

Hello. I tell more.
I've changed lasers with success in CPD-502ES, KSS-121A in a old Denon, and in Saba CDP380.
The Sony BU-1C and similar are the most easy to change the diode, but is not easy at all.
First, extract the diode, then put another diode LT022MC or similar of 9mm size. Then, you have to adjust the three screws to find the best RF signal. For to do this, you have to wire the pcb to the laser with wires. You have to separate the pcb from the laser for to can access the three screws. Then, patient and ajust. Oscilloscope is needed. When you find the best signal, put a bit of glue in the screws for to assure it. Then, remove the wires, and that's all.
About the LT022MC, and the fake LT022MC, a good idea could be to put another diode of 5,6mm and a adaptor to 9mm.
Unfortunatelly I don't find these adaptors, but I've seen that the socket that the chinese KSS-240A and similars for the diode laser, is in fact a adaptor of 5,6mm to 9mm. Remove this piece of a cheap KSS-240A could be a solution, but I haven't done yet.

I'm working in a way of to replace and adjust the laser diodes in a benchwork, with instrumental, not depending of the cd player.
The key of it is in the Pioneer P-D70 manual service, where you can see how a laser pickup is adjusted. For to adjust a cd pickup, you have to make it run, with a mirror, with a power supply of only 1V you have to move the lens, and with an oscilloscope you see the diode A B C D E F and it's signals. The signal is DC, the reflect of the light. And etc...

I'll notice you if is something valuable to say in this forum.

And I could repair, but I live in Canary islands, to send a device is expensive.

I don't need to do money with repairs, I prefer to share my knowledge for to everybody can do it.

If is any new, I'll publish here.

wow great news thank.you!!!

I have alot of cd players so maybe there is hope to replace the diod in the future if they fail and keep them running!
As you mentioned you would need.the entire machine to be adjusted on the spot correct?

thank you!

John

Hello Manolo Mos,
should never, ever, by any circumstances be touched at all?
It is the part beneath the laser diode,
I did move the grating a bit, from this Point, the BU-1 became useless.
horizontally?
chance to mill it yet…
I ordered about 40 diodes from an eBay seller more than two years ago.
Many also had broken Windows, 8 were emitting o.k, the rest was crap.

Hi Salar so maybe the hungarian guy i mentioned Mr Dezso he really can replace the diod now we see.other people has done it as well? so maybe its not a bogus?

Hello. It depends the kind of pickup or cd player. For example, Sony Bu-1 Bu-1c or Bu-1e, KSS-121A 122 or KSS-123A, the easiest way way is to change the diode with me entire machine, and oscilloscope, tiny wires, solder machine and tin.
But, for others pickups, this is not possible. For this, it's necesary to do any kind of adjust procedure with the pickup only, like it is do in factory.
For this, the key is showed in the manual of the Pioneer P-Dx700.
If you read, the way is to see in an oscillocope or any kind of visualization of the signal of the photodiodes with an mirror.
Then, you have to adjust the focus coil with an only 1volt power, nothing more. Besides you have to activate de laser diode.
Then, you have to see the A B C D E and F diodes running and "dancing" in the oscilloscope when you move the focus coil with the power supply, slowly from 0 to no more than 0.7V.
Another problem is to see a little DC voltage variations at the diodes with some DC volts. For that, you have to do an difference amplifier or clamp restorer. It is not difficult, but you have to do six, for a b c...

The idea is to do like factory do with the cd pickup, and the adjust is done seeing the A B C D E and F signals.

This is not easy, there is not much information, the success is full of failures.

Hello. It depends the kind of pickup or cd player. For example, Sony Bu-1 Bu-1c or Bu-1e, KSS-121A 122 or KSS-123A, the easiest way way is to change the diode with me entire machine, and oscilloscope, tiny wires, solder machine and tin.
But, for others pickups, this is not possible. For this, it's necesary to do any kind of adjust procedure with the pickup only, like it is do in factory.
For this, the key is showed in the manual of the Pioneer P-Dx700.
If you read, the way is to see in an oscillocope or any kind of visualization of the signal of the photodiodes with an mirror.
Then, you have to adjust the focus coil with an only 1volt power, nothing more. Besides you have to activate de laser diode.
Then, you have to see the A B C D E and F diodes running and "dancing" in the oscilloscope when you move the focus coil with the power supply, slowly from 0 to no more than 0.7V.
Another problem is to see a little DC voltage variations at the diodes with some DC volts. For that, you have to do an difference amplifier or clamp restorer. It is not difficult, but you have to do six, for a b c...

The idea is to do like factory do with the cd pickup, and the adjust is done seeing the A B C D E and F signals.

This is not easy, there is not much information, the success is full of failures.

i have a few sony running the KSS-190A so far they ok have you replaced those before?
Do you have a repair shop or it is just a hobby may i ask?

Thanks

John

i have a few sony running the KSS-190A so far they ok have you replaced those before?
Do you have a repair shop or it is just a hobby may i ask?

Thanks

John

Hello. It's just a hobby. As some of us, is a challenge, and is frustrating and upsetting to see good cd players with bad laser pickups, with a post sell service bad, with expensive laser pickups, and a very short of time of avality of them.

I've never seen any KSS-190a, I dont't know how it is, it seems a BU-1 or BU-1C or E, but I don't know how is it's laser. If you look in Google, it appears some BU-1, it is not clear.

If it is like a BU-1, it is relatively easy, but if is like an KSS-151A, it must be adjust in a workbench, because you can't adjust the laser position with the pickup conected to the cd.

Now I want to study the KSS-272a and similar, OPH31 and similar, and VWY-061 of Pioneer P-D70 and P-DX700. It take time, but is fun too and interesting.

Hello. It's just a hobby. As some of us, is a challenge, and is frustrating and upsetting to see good cd players with bad laser pickups, with a post sell service bad, with expensive laser pickups, and a very short of time of avality of them.

I've never seen any KSS-190a, I dont't know how it is, it seems a BU-1 or BU-1C or E, but I don't know how is it's laser. If you look in Google, it appears some BU-1, it is not clear.

If it is like a BU-1, it is relatively easy, but if is like an KSS-151A, it must be adjust in a workbench, because you can't adjust the laser position with the pickup conected to the cd.

Now I want to study the KSS-272a and similar, OPH31 and similar, and VWY-061 of Pioneer P-D70 and P-DX700. It take time, but is fun too and interesting.

Hi

I agree i like challenges as well.
Yes it is a BU-1 .
Again its great to know this machines lives for an other day and don't end up in the trash, it's sooo well built and beautiful engineering !

Of topic i visited La Mata Torrevieja last year beautiful place i may move there!
I live in the US but i am from Europe originally.

Thanks!!:)

Hi

I agree i like challenges as well.
Yes it is a BU-1 .
Again its great to know this machines lives for an other day and don't end up in the trash, it's sooo well built and beautiful engineering !

Of topic i visited La Mata Torrevieja last year beautiful place i may move there!
I live in the US but i am from Europe originally.

Thanks!!:)

Hello. Is more than ten years I don't go to continental Spain. Here, we don't like the bullfights and flamenco, in fact we hate it. This is a bit different than continental Spain.

Sorry for my bad writting, I show here some of the ideas that I've said.

Notes - Google Photos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.