KSS-190A (Sony 557ESD/707ESD)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some pics more.

KSS - Google Photos

In the oscilloscope you can see when I detect the A and B signal with a 21hz on the focus coil, note that a and b is disphased 180 degrees. I asum that to change a diode, you have to adjust such A=C and B=D, and 180º degrees between A C and B D. In the manual of the Pioneer P-D70, you can see a figure of four lines, this are the a b c d diodes signal. And yes, it's is dificult, I'm in it.

I bought this and this looks fine. The only problem is that some of the diodes came with the window broken, I don't know if that was due for a bad packaged. Request the seller look the diodes window and don't send any diode broken. Neverthless, the window broken don't mind for the good functioning of the cd, because I prove it with one broken and it run ok. Look this diodes and you'll see that are different than other LT022mc from China.

Diodo Laser LT022MC, Original Sharp, 5.pcs | eBay

Great work and effort ManoloMos - very encouraging! I, and I bet a lot of others, look forward to your work on the mighty KSS-272A.

I too like a challenge so I bought five diodes from the seller. Do I understand correctly that the ones you linked to are the ones you've been successful in replacing the diode with?

I was and still am a bit sceptical of the state of these diodes because of the images of four diodes casually lying on some kind of fabric.
Today I got my package and the confidence level didn't increase due to the packaging used but at least it's a static dissipative bag. I can't decide if it's a good thing or bad sign that the seller sent me eight diodes instead of the five I purchased. No broken windows though.

I assume that you tested the diodes before using them as replacements ManoloMos? What kind of test setup did you use for this? Any tips? I've never worked with laser diodes before.
Maybe now is the time for me to cave in and spend (a lot of) money on a laser power meter?

Attachments

• LT022MC.jpg
    LT022MC.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 247
Great work and effort ManoloMos - very encouraging! I, and I bet a lot of others, look forward to your work on the mighty KSS-272A.

I too like a challenge so I bought five diodes from the seller. Do I understand correctly that the ones you linked to are the ones you've been successful in replacing the diode with?

I was and still am a bit sceptical of the state of these diodes because of the images of four diodes casually lying on some kind of fabric.
Today I got my package and the confidence level didn't increase due to the packaging used but at least it's a static dissipative bag. I can't decide if it's a good thing or bad sign that the seller sent me eight diodes instead of the five I purchased. No broken windows though.

I assume that you tested the diodes before using them as replacements ManoloMos? What kind of test setup did you use for this? Any tips? I've never worked with laser diodes before.
Maybe now is the time for me to cave in and spend (a lot of) money on a laser power meter?

What kind of test setup for the laser diode? None. When I replaced the LT022MC on the sony I chose one and, all went fine. But, I saw that the other LT022MC with the gold plated were faulty because the current on the APC circuit was high, more than 100mA. Another trick is to put 2.0V on the laser diode, and compare the light emited with a camera of photos.

And, another things. I've tried to put a new diode in a KSS-272, but I can't adjust the diode, because when I get good signal in A B diode, C and B diodes are very weak, and viceversa. Another thing is that focus voltage is a bit higher, that makes me thing that the new diode is a bit different than the original.

With the pickup of the Pioneer P-DX700, the VWY-061, I get the good signal but, it don't work.

Two failures.

Another hint. I've see the original diode of the KSS-272A and the diodes that are selled for the KSS-151A, and are't equals, the KSS-272a diode is 1mm minus higher.

In a few weeks, when arrive the diodes and other components from china, I'll study the KSS-151a and I'll try to replace the diode.

I've bought this days the Sanwa LP1 that is a laser power meter. It will arrive in a few weeks.

There is some failures, I need some success for to continue. For this, the Kss-272a and the VWY-061 is keeped in a box, and I'm gonna start to study the Denon1800R pickup that is like an OPH32.

Like I've said before, the trick for to see the cd pickup signal, is to put a mirror, put a DC voltage plus a alternate signal of low frecuency like 20, 50hz or etc... and see in a oscilloscope the ABCDEF diodes signals. This is the key of this.

This link helps a bit for to explain it.

And other thing. Bad news for KSS190A, it seems that uses the same block than the KSS151A. It's not as easy like the BU-1 mechanisms.

And thats all, by the moment.

La technique du lecteur CD... (page 3) - vintage-audio-laser.com

Hello. Hello. I've changed a diode laser in the Denon DCD1800R with a ML4402 diodes from Ebay, 3mw, and it works.
The procedure that I've described, with the mirror and all that stuff seems to be correct. The Denon pickup is nameled 4990039006 and is very similar to Toshiba OPH31, OPH32 and KSC100A.
This pickup has four photodiodes, not six.
Is relatively easy to adjust, is not as critical as the six diodes pickups.
I've bought some electronic stuff, like cables, laser diodes and etc... for to continue the experiments.
Is impossible to manipulate or adjust the Denon DCD1800R pickup while is mounted in the machine. The cd is a nightmare to manipulate, but has resulted very educational.

Some pics.

Denon DCD1800R - Google Photos

Regards

Hello. Hello. I've changed a diode laser in the Denon DCD1800R with a ML4402 diodes from Ebay, 3mw, and it works.
The procedure that I've described, with the mirror and all that stuff seems to be correct. The Denon pickup is nameled 4990039006 and is very similar to Toshiba OPH31, OPH32 and KSC100A.
This pickup has four photodiodes, not six.
Is relatively easy to adjust, is not as critical as the six diodes pickups.
I've bought some electronic stuff, like cables, laser diodes and etc... for to continue the experiments.
Is impossible to manipulate or adjust the Denon DCD1800R pickup while is mounted in the machine. The cd is a nightmare to manipulate, but has resulted very educational

Some pics.

Regards

Fantastic Work!!

Hello. Congratulations for the hard work and success. It's not easy, but in the BU-1 is possible. Is a bit difficult, because is delicate to adjust while the cd is playing, it is very delicate, and sometimes makes violent moviments.

Some things.

1 I've bought an Kenwood DP1100II, this cd has an OPH34, very similar OPH31, 32 and Denon's OPHs.
Almost all OPHs has the same problem: Mould, or mildew in the prism, in the layer or cover of antireflects, and is very curious because it appears mostly in the beneath part. I cleaned it with cloth for glasses. Is important to know early CDs for to get knowledge for the later CDs.

2 The power laser meter has not arrived, some items for to do laser experiments neither. The shippings are delayed due Covid-19.

3 Before Covid I bought in TV LED,LED STRIP,LED TV PARTS,TV LED STRIP,LED Upgrade Kits,TV Parts,CCFL TUBE some lasers:

SANYO 780nm 5mw DL-3030 TO9
ROHM 780nm 5mw RLD78MPA1 5.6mm
ROHM 780nm laser diode 5mw RLD78MYR1 5.6mm
SONY SLD105VL 780nm 5mw 5.6mm

4) Some pics Denon DCD1800R pickup, before and after cleanup lens. The four signals, two signals in each oscilloscope, specially before cleanup, are very unbalanced, and the form are not equal. After cleanup the signals are very similar, but not exact. Maybe in laser with four photodiodes are not very stricts with this.

5) About KSS-190A. I never have seen a KSS-190A, but it seems that has the same optic block than KSS-151A and KSS-152A. If you have a KSS-152A, maybe you can exchange the optic from a KSS-152A to a KSS-190A. But it must be an ORIGINAL KSS-152A. I say that because I've seen in Ebay and Aliexpress units of KSS-152A that seems to be built recently in China and are different that originals.

And that's all. House arrest for the Covid-19 makes me a bit dull, buzzed, dumb, I don't know how it says in english exactly. I hope to continue the experiments and to get any result that can help. Regards

Hello. Finally, the Sanwa LP-1 laser meter arrived.

Some things.

I have a humble Denon DCD-1000 with KSS-121A. I Replaced some time ago the diode laser. The original was totally broken, without any power. I replaced it with a Mitsubishi ML4402 and right, perfect. Some months after I powered this cd and it did not read discs. What happened? I did not know. I adjusted it again and the cd was perfect again. Some days ago I powered this cd again and it did not run...
What is happening? I meassured laser diode power in the laser pickup lens and it was 300mw. I suspected of fungus in the lens.
I opened the pickup and I extract the piece with collimator, NPBS(the beamsplitter cube), and the grating lens. I saw fungus in the NPBS, y cleaned it with a cloth and liquid for glasses, o mounted it again. Now is perfect. Now can read all discs, even some that are a bit difficult to read, like a CD of Pet Shop Boys "fundamental" I have, and I use for to prove CD players.
I wanted to know if the Sanyo laser diode DL-3030 and it run well too. The position is a bit different and Focus-Offet must to be adjusted, but it's normal.

I had another mechanism for Denon DCD-1000 with KSS-121A. This mechanism reads discs, but did not read the Pet Shop Boys CD.
So, I tried to do the same again with this other KSS-121A. The first surprise is that the diode laser is different, it have the window inclined, this is the very first time I see a 9mm diode laser this design.
I tried to remove the lens but here is a problem, aluminium piece is stucked, is clogged, blocked.I tried to remove it and the things get worse. Only when I put oil in the hole where was the block screw, It started to move.I cleaned the lens and mounted it again. I had to polish the aluminium piece because it did not fit well, the diode laser space as polish too, the diode was very just in this space, it got clogged when placed. You can see in the pictures the damage produced trying to remove the aluminium piece. I had to polish the diode laser and the gap.
Bufff... I turned on the cd and like always, I adjust the diode position and all right. But one thing, now the diode was too inclined and one screw of that attach the diode laser was to loose, and it provokes that the diode laser can be moved with any abrupt movement. How I solved it? I placed a washer in these screw for to longer the separation. And fine. Now it reads Pet Shop Boys "Fundamental"

I ask my self if the BU-1, BU-1C and BU-1E can be affected with fungus. I don't know, but probably yes. My cds players wit BU-1 can read Pet Shop Boys "fundamental", so, I don't try to do nothing. If it works, don't touch.

As you can see, the KSS-121A is a intermediate model between Bu-1 and KSS-15XA, 190, 270, 271 etc... models. Every model is a evolution of the former model

I meassured the power laser ouput with the Sanwa LP-1 in no manipulated lasers pickup. There are some meassures:

BU-1E: 220mw The label says 600mw, but with 220mW is perfect.
KSS-121A: 250mW. This is the lens with the inclined window diode laser.
OPH-34, in Kenwood DP-1100II 650mW. Is manipulate power laser? I don't know, but the diode laser is only 34mA. Is much power compared other laser pickups.

Before to try again to repair KSS-151A or KSS-271A or KSS-272A, I want to get practice with earlier cd pickups.

Conclusion: By now, cd pickups with 9mm diode laser, with care, are reparable.

Here some pics.

KSS-121A - Google Photos

Regards

Hello everyone!
Maybe someone on the farm does not have a working KSS-190A, I will buy for experiments on restoration, replacement of a laser diode.
If I achieve positive results, this will be a major breakthrough.
I bought laser diodes on ebay 5pcs.
The head should not be twisted, the ribbon cable and the lens without damage, the photodiode array is not moved from the seat, in general the head is simply not working, the tired laser diode is below the working limit.
If there are such offers, write the price we will discuss.
+380996178328 Viber.
Dmitry.

Hello. About KSS-190A, there is other option for to repair it. I did it one time in a KSS-151A.
The steps are the following:
Buy or get an ORIGINAL KSS-150A or KSS-152A. If you see, the metal block where is the laser, the photodiode, the lens are similar.
The process is to replace one block for another in the KSS-190A, but this must be done without moving the photodiode array.
Remove the flat cable is a delicate process, but not impossible.
You have to remove the upper lens first, because it's necesary for to remove a screw that attach the laser block, sometimes this screw is very hard to remove. Difficults, all difficults... is not easy.
Originals KSS-150A or KSS-152A are not very commons and cheaps. In Aliexpress are some but, are originals? In the pictures appears to be original but... who knows. I've bought two, it haven't arrived yet.

This looks fine: Original nuevo KSS 150A KSS 150 KSS150A KSS 210A KSS 210B CD laser lente|cd cd|lenslens laser - AliExpress

This is not original, avoid it for this kind of experiments

Original KSS150A KSS150 KSS 150 KSS 150A CD laser lente|Reproductor de CD de coche| - AliExpress

Another thing, I've seen other kind of diodes in Aliexpress, looks interesting, it haven't arrived yet.

Nuevo SONY KSS 151A 780nm 790nm 5mW laser diodo/780nm 790nm 304 6FN CD laser diodo|Abalorios luminosos| - AliExpress

And good luck Dmitry!

Last edited:
I know I did it more than once.
He brought the KSS-271A, KSS-152A heads into operation in this way.
Here on the forum there are my posts on this method of recovery.
I have work units with KSS-150A, KSS-168A, KSS-183A ...
But here the fundamental question is precisely the replacement of the laser diode!
I have a SONY CDP-X7ESD with a weak laser, but while it is breathing. I took off the diode and put it in its place, it works as it did.
I would like to buy another head for experiments, so as not to touch it, since at least somehow it works.
So I wanted to work out a technique for replacing a diode at this training ground.
This is a very relevant topic today, I would like to achieve a positive result by replacing the diode.
Thanks for your reply!
Sincerely, Dmitriy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.