Marantz cd 54

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Odd behavior...I posted earlier on how my cd 54 will not play unless warmed up..tonight after a few drinks i wanted to have a look under the hood..so i powered it up with disc in place from cold and it would not read TOC...so i flipped it upside down to undo the bottom i noticed that it was reading TOC...odd..not sure why?could it be something to do with the turn table? Anyone know? thanks in advance...

Hi.

Mooly is correct.

As this is a first generation player with the CDM-1 and TDA1540 DAC chips, the cause of the problem is most likely to be old electrolytic capacitors.

As Mooly said, one of the common problems is a 33uf cap to be found on the board attached to the cd mechanism. These should be changed for IDENTICAL value caps as they are value sensitive.

It is also likely that the main caps on the power supply board are also in need of changing.

Remember ... if changing components, one thing at a time then test otherwise you may create a new fault and be unable to determine where it is !!

It should be a very easy fix.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.