I2S digital output in Marantz CD4000 and four TDA1541A with balance analog output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I2C

Ray,
Yes you're probably right - it's a while since I looked at SAA7377 datasheet (this is as close as I could get to SAA7378).

In that case does anybody know good I2C software to run on PC which can interpret the communications between micrcontroller and SAA chip and subsequently issue commands to change mode or oversampling rate?

Thanks
John

Re: I2S from CD4000

jkeny said:
Sorry Don Juan and Ivo

News is bad

I have a CD4000 and unfortunately you cannot get I2S signal out nor can you put it into no oversampled mode except by downloading code on microcontroller debugging it and changing it.

I looked into this quite extensively and Kuei is right - PCB in CD4000 is not the same as Daisy short loader pcb - I would have liked to be able to select settings by jumpers also but no go.

If you ever figure out how to do this let me know

John

My news is good!
Yeah! It is possible I2S (non oversampled) from the ECOSL MK3

:cool:
I owned a Philips CD723 a week ago.Let me try to explain how to do to extract the I2S ( when Philips write I2S I think it means NO OVERSAMPLING isn't it?): first of all download and read this pdf
http://www.daisy-laser.com/downloads/products/CD/modules/slspec.pdf
there are the specifications for the ECOSL MK3, of course the version of this transport used into the players HAS NOT a D/A converter on the board and it is already configured for a digital serial output (BCK/WS/DATA)oversampled.
At page 5 of the pdf you will see the mention of a connector, CONN.1802, well for I2S the pin 1 (KILL) must be connected with a wire to the PIN 7(+A servo supply voltage).
On the board you will find already the 470ohm resistor that comes from the KILL CD7-saa7378 (PIN43) and instead of the capacitor there is another resistor (a couple of megaohm) that goes to ground.Across this last resistor (in parallel) we will connect a 470pico capacitor ... et voila' .;)
NOW the player is non oversampling and the TDA 1545A works at 1fs.

At this point I would like to thanks everyone at the forum who has researched for this good sounding - non oversampled- dacs.
Thanks!!!

PS : if somebody is enough good to demonstrate that I am wrong
whith a complete argomentation of the above I will appreciate it.
:)

Re: Re: I2S from CD4000

Konnichiwa,

stefanobilliani said:

My news is good!
Yeah! It is possible I2S (non oversampled) from the ECOSL MK3

BOY, if that really works, muchos kudos 2 U.

Can someone who has a CD713 at hand just check if this machine has the same connectors? (Should have). The 713 is on sale in the sub £ 60 here in the UK. Just the ticket. Add a 12V battery to power the TDA1545 and improve the analogue stage plus fit any of the clocks lying about....

Sayonara

Just a few remarks:

The TDA1545A doesn't expect I2S signals, but Japanese input format.

The KILL signal in the Philips CD-7X3 series is used as muting OUTPUT signal (see schematics of the CD-7x3 series).

IMHO you've just disable the muting circuit...

I don't understand that you are expecting that you will be proved wrong :bigeyes: :scratch: while you definitely heared it was non-os I2S :cool:

rbroer said:
Just a few remarks:

The TDA1545A doesn't expect I2S signals, but Japanese input format.

The KILL signal in the Philips CD-7X3 series is used as muting OUTPUT signal (see schematics of the CD-7x3 series).

IMHO you've just disable the muting circuit...

I don't understand that you are expecting that you will be proved wrong :bigeyes: :scratch: while you definitely heared it was non-os I2S :cool:

Well, thanks,

The TDA1545a works better with the modification , I tried today the TDA 1543 directly in the supposed I2s and it works BUT it plays at a very low level (pratically it does not works!).
The muting circuit ? I don't know yet...
:bawling:So i think at least the os is still there.

Anyway the difference in sound at the TDA1545 worths the modification, I also have the perception that the SPDIF output works better....(?):goodbad:

I wait for more inputs
:cool:

:eek: :confused: :clown: :dead: :bawling:

Of course you get some low sound from the TDA1543 :nod:

The data frames are 24 bits (japanese format). The 8 first data bits are probably all 0, followed by 16 data bits (@4*Fs).

The TDA1543 reads in 8 zero's and the first 8 databits, ergo a very low output.

I suspect the shortloader modules (not the CD7x3 boards though) to have a programmable input pin on the SAA727* conneced to the KILL pin on the connector.
Plus there is switching logic that either passes the I2S signals to the connecter 1802 or ANALOG signals from on board dac.

I'm sure you hear a much improved sound though :cool::nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.