So who wants a CD transport?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Design process is underway. This is where I am at for the moment:
0rI7UJc.jpg

Please note that this (and all other work) will be suspended for April as I relocate from one part of the country to another. When relocation is done this project enjoys first priority.

Would this design work with lasers that use only 4 photodiodes - i.e. no E-F signals?

I am going to try and see... The pick-up used in the SONY receiver I am using as a development platform is one such pickup, they commoned the A and C diode inputs and used two as E-F.

So the first board I roll, I will put pads on the board to allow us to fiddle with the configuration and change it for any given pick up- That way we will quickly see which works and which doesn't.

Here's an update.
I've spent all I can afford on this project. If it is to go further we need to fund it.

Does anyone have any experience with Patreon? Or should I use another means.

Funding is required as follows:
* Costs of prototyping PCBs
* Costs of sample CD transport mechanisms

I am covering the cost of everything else.

Some DIY CD transport suggestions

Here's an update.
I've spent all I can afford on this project. If it is to go further we need to fund it.

Does anyone have any experience with Patreon? Or should I use another means.

Funding is required as follows:
* Costs of prototyping PCBs
* Costs of sample CD transport mechanisms

I am covering the cost of everything else.

Very interesting project. Have you considered the Sanyo SFP 101N drive? These things are available on eBay for as little as $5.00 a pop. CEC uses the laser pickup in their transports, and other high-end transports and CD players use the complete assembly.

I think a controller board for the drive with an sp/dif output would be a fine thing. There are already plenty of DACs, kits, boards, etc. available but no options for a DIY transport. I don't think there's any need to reinvent the wheel in the DAC department.

I'm looking forward to see what you come up with from here.

Any updates?
Everything is on my desk in my man cave. I have been very busy with some deadlines at work so I haven't done much since September.

Sorry.
Software development is quite a fast-paced career.

Things are looking more peaceful in 2020, so I am looking at this again.
The SONY radio I used to cannabalise for parts I needed (well basically the CD DSP and all that on a working board) is pretty much ready, I've stripped out all the stuff I need and it works, so I am confident in rolling a PC board for this project.

Tamago,

You have been working on this cd transport since 2010! I admire your guts for not giving up. You are the 2nd diy cd transport here with Shigaclone being the first. There are some cd transports on the marketplace that cost more than a cd player! I hope this cd transport of yours in the end will be very good and low cost.

Please keep up the good work that you do. I don't understand but this thread should be over a 100 pages long and there should be a lot of helpful comments from the experts here. Also are you a member of AVForums South Africa?

It is possible - it is just the people missing to do the design unpaid
(besides paid, practical work like milling parts,
something that has to be done from one point)
Patents have expired and there are some good
classics out there to do the reverse engineering.
Attached is a design I made, based on the BU-1 from Sony.
But here, the disc is moving, not the laser.
Reason behind this is that the fixed laser can be more easily adjusted
and serviced.
But this drawing is as usable as a Star Destroyer for the moment: Just a model, faithfully
put into CAD from the original parts but nothing beyond this.
Things like the focal length and aperture are unkown - I simply miss the expertise.
Someone has to design the optical stuff.
I still hope that people with more knowledge will join the work.
Same with the IC - to my understanding,all those Servo Ics are
more or less a heap of opamps.
Also something to work on...
All the best, Salar

Attachments

• Moving Disc one.jpg
    Moving Disc one.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Moving Disc two.jpg
    Moving Disc two.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Moving Disc onea.jpg
    Moving Disc onea.jpg
    622.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Moving Disc twoa.jpg
    Moving Disc twoa.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.