Laser replacement for TEAC VRDS 10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have a TEAC VRDS 10 CDP. I am trying to get a replacement laser for it. I know it uses KSS151A laser unit. I have mainly two question regarding it:

1. How easy or difficult is it to replace the laser unit ? Since I am not a techie I really do not know the complexity of this job.

2. Is it okay to buy a old laser unit which has a new laser ? Someone I know has a old laser unit but he says that the laser itself is new. Please tell me if that is possible in the first place ? And whether it is a reliable thing to use a old laser unit ?
I mean, mostly in a laser unit its the laser that gives away after certain hours of usage, but are there other things also that can give away ? Am I doing fine if I just have a old but functional laser unit with a new laser ? Is it reliable enough ?

Please share your experiences and views.

regards
Pani

replacing of this optical pickup isn't really easy - it is much more difficult compare to the replace of the typ KSS-210A or KSS-150A. I cannot recommend the change for beginners - please go to your service center or to a friend of you, who have experience and can do this.
Some foto of this laser unit and the kind of mounting you can find about

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/sony 227esd/sony227.html

Regarded the change of the laser diode itself (Sony Type SLD104AU, 780-785Nm) I would be sceptical. I search a long time to companies resp. suppliers for this laser diode typ or better version, that can do this, but I don't find.

Here all cd player models (that I know) with KSS-151A inside
SONY
CDP-222ES
CDP-222ESD
CDP-227ESD
CDP-228ESD
CDP-338ESD
CDP-505ESD
CDP-507ESD
CDP-508ESD
CDP-608ESD
CDP-910
CDP-R1a
DENON DCD-1500mk2
DENON DCD-1520
DENON DCD-1530
DENON DCD-1560
DENON DCD-2560
DENON DCD-2700
DENON DCD-3520
DENON DCD-3560
DENON DCD-S1
Teac VRDS10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.