Krell DVD Standard laser adjustment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a used Krell DVD Standard, but it has trouble with DVD's. It plays CD's like a champ and they sound good too!

I called Krell and the tech said the laser needed alignment, about $600 USD. I opened the unit up and couldn't cross reference the part number on the transport, but it did have two pots on the ribbon cable a la playstation 2.

I can borrow an oscope from work, but have no idea where the rf test point would be for the eye pattern. Would it be better to swap the laser unit out instead? Any idea what Krell uses?

Thanks,
ECM

Two trim-pots for two laser beams, one for CD, the second for DVD. Try to obtain a servicer manual, find the RF point, check the required level and trim the pots. You will need the "proper" CD / DVD disk that have a reference reflectivity, but this is not mandatory... however, it will take longer to adjust the proper RF signal amplitude because you really need a reference reflectivity to start-with.

DVD's (and CD's in particular) all have very different reflectivity.

Boky

Krell never releases service information to ANYBODY. I have no idea what dvd transport/basic platform the Krell uses, but most dvd players I have worked on have an auto-calibration system built into the service menus, which are usually accessed by certain key combinations on the normal remote unit. For instance, most Sony's:

6-2. STARTING TEST MODE
Press [TITLE], [CLEAR], [POWER] buttons on the remote commander
in this order with the power of main unit in OFF status,
and the Test Mode starts, then the menu shown below will be displayed
on the TV screen. At the bottom of menu screen, the model
name and revision number are displayed.
To execute each function, select the desired menu and press its
number on the remote commander.
To exit from the Test Mode, press the POWER button.

Test Mode Menu
0. Syscon Diagnosis
1. Drive Auto Adjustment
2. Drive Manual Operation
3. Mecha Aging
4. Emergency History
5. Version Information
6. Video Level Adjustment
7. Prog Level Adjustment
Exit: Power Key

I'm not having any luck finding a service manual or any info on the transport used.

Following the PS2 procedure, I measured the pots on the ribbon cable and adjusted them +/-10%, testing the player after each adjustment. The player showed no improvement or other changes so I put the pots back where they were and called it a day. I may just have to give in and have them fix it while charging an arm and a leg.

Not surprising at all. With DVD lasers, it seems that it's never about laser output power.
If you could post photos of the laser/transport, one of us here could probably identify the actual manufacturer, which would allow, no doubt, either ascertainment of the calibration procedure, or VASTLY cheaper acquisition of a replacement laser/mech.

I think it is this DVD player:
Product Review

Try follow:
choice about google's images search follow keywords:
1) DVD mechanism
e. g. "DVD mechanism" - Google Bilder
2) DVD Transport
"DVD transportmechanism" - Google Bilder
DVD transport on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
TAG McLaren DVD32R

Then you compare your Krell DVD mechanism with all images as shown.
If you find out an other DVD brand name with same mechanism, you can order the appropriate service manual there.

In some contemporary pure CD Player follow transport I see often:
:: Optical Pick-ups :: DSL-710A DVD Loader::
like Primare CD-31
Stereophile: Primare CD31 CD player

But I don't know about the quality standart and life time
The manufacturer homepage is follow:
¡Å¡ñ¡Å¡ñ¡Å¡ñ WELCOM TO DVS KOREA ¡Å¡ñ¡Å¡ñ¡Å¡ñ
and Datasheets are there
¡Å¡ñ¡Å¡ñ¡Å¡ñ WELCOM TO DVS KOREA ¡Å¡ñ¡Å¡ñ¡Å¡ñ
if doesn't goes open try to copy this one in the URL address field and replace the first dot:
www_dvs.co.kr/project/english/product/710a.htm
www_dvs.co.kr/project/english/product/710a.htm

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.