Hawk Audio mpIII dac any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

On the site of www.audio.nl there is a sale on print pcb`s, from the mp dacIII. This could complement my cd-pro2 player, when finshed...

I heard two versions of these dacs, both with a tube output stage, -the original doesn`t have tubes- and it sounded really really good. Now there is but one problem; I only heard only one other dac, something quite different "meridian delta sigma 1 bit" the mp dacIII, sounded more analoge, but darker. The meridian placed a sharper soundfield, but I like analoge more...

The total cost of the dac would be around 500 euro, but i wonder if i could do better. On tnt-audio, the dac got a really good review, and my ears told me it sounded good.

So if anyone has comments on this dac, or experience, OR wants to give advise, please do, as I could use the help.

wazzup said:
Hi,

On the site of www.audio.nl there is a sale on print pcb`s, from the mp dacIII. This could complement my cd-pro2 player, when finshed...

I heard two versions of these dacs, both with a tube output stage, -the original doesn`t have tubes- and it sounded really really good. Now there is but one problem; I only heard only one other dac, something quite different "meridian delta sigma 1 bit" the mp dacIII, sounded more analoge, but darker. The meridian placed a sharper soundfield, but I like analoge more...

The total cost of the dac would be around 500 euro, but i wonder if i could do better. On tnt-audio, the dac got a really good review, and my ears told me it sounded good.

So if anyone has comments on this dac, or experience, OR wants to give advise, please do, as I could use the help.

Hi,

The Hawk DAC is very decent sounding, from what I remember, though it is quite sensitive to the drive. I do not agree on their layout topology, but that is another subject.

If you are around in Eindhoven, you are welcome to listen to my DAC.

best regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.